DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with interior paint starting to come away from the wall.

The interior wall was painted a few years back and recently I noticed some slight bubbling happening and not thinking too much about it...only that I would need to be doing some painting in the future.
The area has gotten bigger and basically travelled horizontally along the wall. You can take your hand and press against the section of the wall and the paint moves back and forth.
Now I know that the paint is coming away from the plaster wall but WHY would be my question?

This wall is not exterior but does face the west.
The area was painted some years ago without any signs of problems. No other wall in the same room is showing this problem.
Could humidity cause this? I live in Michigan and do run my air when needed.
The wall in question has the cold air return vent and the problem is in that area but not directly next to the cold air return vent.
Thank you for any advice, opinions, and or suggestions relating to my question in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Likely drywall tape that didn't get properly set in a seam. Cut out the bad, redo the seam with drywall tape and mud. Let dry, sand, prime, and repaint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Likely drywall tape that didn't get properly set in a seam. Cut out the bad, redo the seam with drywall tape and mud. Let dry, sand, prime, and repaint.
Thanks for the reply.. I have been in this house about 16 years, and the home is probably 35+ years or older...do you still think this would be causing this?

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Yes since it's running horizontally, it's gotta be a drywall joint gone bad. Now, could it be caused by some sort of moisture issue? Sure, but you will have to investigate. Is it near a window that may be leaking into the home? Maybe some siding not attached properly outside.......could be dozens of potential causes.

Sent from my iPhone using diychatroom.com

Reactions: dlberry

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Dlberry, once you get enough posts on here, post a picture. You need 5 posts before you can attach photos of your problem.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
the op posted this
Now I know that the paint is coming away from the [COLOR=blue !important]plaster wall[/COLOR] but WHY would be my question?

I don't know if the wall in question is plaster or not:huh:

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
The plaster is likely pulling away from the lathe (thin wood strips that keep the plaster in place), so in that case, your repair work will be much more involved.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Is it the wall moving or the paint? I really suspect moisture since you have lived there 16 years it doesn't seem like a drywall joint would all of a sudden come loose.

If it is the wall moving and you can locate the studs maybe a couple screws will be all you need. If it's moisture the source will need ti=o be found and repaired.

Reactions: dlberry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The paint is moving or very big areas where the paint has pulled away from the wall but not split, or cracked, or peeled away. Thanks ToolSeeker for responding!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
If the paint has come loose it will need to be removed anyway. I think what you need to do is where the paint in loose cut out a piece. Then check to see if there are any sign of moisture. Does the drywall fell wet, damp, soft, is there any sign of discoloration, is the paper on the drywall loose or intact.

Here's what I'm thinking and it could be wrong. Water has gotten into the wall, probably slowly, (small leak) and has been absorbed by the drywall. Again thinking small eventually it got damp enough to break the bond of the paint.

Again small leak it did not get past the drywall seam because the mud absorbs differently than the board thus giving the horizontal line. Interested to see if others agree or disagree.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
I tend to agree with Toolseeker. Is the horizontal bad area 4 feet off the floor ?? Drywall sheets are frequently 4' x 8' and frequently laid horizontally.
A small roof leak could allow water to drip down inside of the wall. When the water hits the joint, it gets soaked up like a sponge by the joint mud. Whats on your roof above that area ? Perhaps a roof vent, or vent stack? Keep in mind that water could drip straight down from a roof leak, or it could run along the rafter (diagonally down) quite some distance before dripping down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SPS-1 and all who have responded...I will try and get some images this week and post. My roof is fairly new and I have a ridge vent that is probably 20-25 feet away from the area in question. I will post some images when I can. Thanks again for responding!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
need a pic, I have never heard of such a situation, at least I am not understanding it and I don't think anyone else is either
Hello chrisn..I have uploaded 6 images of the "Bulging Interior Wall Paint" and hopefully this may give you guys some more insight to what may be going on.
There is no water damage on my celling, and this area is about three feet off the floor. Look forward to all who want to take an educated guess. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Interesting. Hard to say for sure. It does look like perhaps some moisture got in there. It doesn't take much to pop off some plaster. Plaster can act like a wick and basically stays wet for a long time and can pop off the plaster as seen in the pics.

Also, after many years, plaster gets hard and brittle. That alone could be causing the problem. Even someone pounding on an adjacent wall to hang some pictures, etc. can produce a situation like that.

Dlberry, it will just take some serious investigative work on your part to track down what's going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting. Hard to say for sure. It does look like perhaps some moisture got in there. It doesn't take much to pop off some plaster. Plaster can act like a wick and basically stays wet for a long time and can pop off the plaster as seen in the pics.

Also, after many years, plaster gets hard and brittle. That alone could be causing the problem. Even someone pounding on an adjacent wall to hang some pictures, etc. can produce a situation like that.

Dlberry, it will just take some serious investigative work on your part to track down what's going on.
Thanks Gymschu....what about humidity...could that add to the problem?

OK so lets talk about repairing this...basically scrape the peeling paint away...prime the bare sheetrock...put a coat of drywall compound..re-prime and paint?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.