DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are remodeling our only bathroom and have gotten bung up on vanity light fixture and bulbs.

The bathroom is small, roughly 50 sq. feet. We have ceiling heat that still works and we use but way back in '43 when they built the house, they didn't put in any main ceiling light and retrofitting is impossible without cutting ceiling heat element wires.

So our only source of light is a 3 bulb vanity fixture above the mirror. The fixture we have currently is oriented so that the bulbs are horizontal with the top of the bulbs pointing toward the opposite wall. We use opaque globe CFL warmish bulbs and it lights the room well.

We are now looking more at fixtures and most that are decent aesthetically are all either up facing or down facing, assuming it is more of a task light.

So if we were to get something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Vallymede-3-Light-Nickel-Transitional-Vanity-Light/1000002590

Any recommendations on bulbs that give a good balance and strength of light without be too overpowering. We definitely don't want the white/make you look pale as a vampire color, but don't want yellow hue either. Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
If you have a spare CFL, check the box for two bits of info.

First is color temperature. It should have a number between about 2700k and 6500k. If you like the color you have now, stick with bulbs of the same color temp. Color temp is very subjective opinion. I like warm colors (lower color temp) because most of my life we used incandescent bulbs. I hated the cool white fluorescent tubes used in many public buildings. Warm colors are also more kind with older skin. Some of the cooler colors (higher color temps) make every skin defect jump at you. Warm colors keep your wife happier.

Second, check the permissible orientation. Some CFLs don’t work well in a screw base up orientation.

If you run out of CFLs, I would consider switch to LEDs. They will save you another 4-5 watts per bulb. Use the same color temps as your chosen color in CFLs.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,673 Posts
With that fixture you are limited to Edison base lamps. I would go with the brightest (most lumens) dimmable LED lamps you can find and plan on installing a LED compatible dimmer. I agree using warm white 2700 K lamps.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With that fixture you are limited to Edison base lamps. I would go with the brightest (most lumens) dimmable LED lamps you can find and plan on installing a LED compatible dimmer. I agree using warm white 2700 K lamps.
Where did you get the Edison limitation? Just says A19. Those are just the standard socket bulbs, right? We'd like to use Edison's, but I'm not sure they are bright enough. I'll look and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
That style with clear or frosted globes will work fine with 3- 60-75w equivalent but I would find one with a standard bulb base and not the small base.

I have redone several smallish bathrooms with the same style.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,673 Posts
Where did you get the Edison limitation? Just says A19. Those are just the standard socket bulbs, right? We'd like to use Edison's, but I'm not sure they are bright enough. I'll look and see what I can find out.
Edison base is another term for a standard E26 lamp socket. A19 is the shape of the bulb.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,673 Posts
What's wrong with just putting globe LEDs in your current fixture? Get some 60W-equivalent globes. No muss, no fuss.
The glass fitters will not allow that shape lamp to work. That is why the description specifies A19 shape lamps.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,673 Posts
Wut? He has globe bulbs right now. I suggested replacing his CFL globes with LED ones. No "fitters" involved.
Look at the link the poster provided to the new fixture he will be installing. The fitters or glass globes will not allow a large globe style lamp to be installed.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
He didn't say he would be installing that, he asked if they were to get something like that. I suggested trying LED bulbs instead of replacing the fixture entirely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts