DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max overall length ~4", about 1" diameter, the bulb inside is about 2" x 3/8" inch, regular screw base, 120v, 150W.
What is this type bulb called?
I can't find a pic on the Web.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Sound like a T-8 halogen bulb sorta use simuir on movie or therather equiment.

I did see it couple time before but you have to read the bulb codes it useally stamped on the base or on the end one of the two.

Merci,Marc

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts

maybe?

it it seems the letters JTT are attached to every lamp I have found that has that configuration.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

maybe?

it it seems the letters JTT are attached to every lamp I have found that has that configuration.
That's exactly how it looks.

The lamp place says they don't have replacement dimmers so unless I can find a break in the wiring somewhere, this is a no-bid, no-fix.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
If it has a filament stretching from one end of the inner tube to the other, as in the picture above, then it is a halogen lamp (tungsten-halogen, a kind of incandescent).

Not to be confused with a "metal halide" lamp which is a kind of mercury vapor lamp, which has an inner tube with no filament inside, and which does require a ballast.

The inner tube gets hot enough that touching it and putting finger prints on it may result in melting and blowing up. The outer bulb prevents that and also distributes the heat better to reduce the chances of fire if a flammable object is nearby.

Needs no ballast; just screw it into an ordinary socket. (You did say 120 volts)

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
(You did say 120 volts)
Yes, and the unmarked reading lamp bulb on the gooseneck for this lamp reads 0.3 ohms cold. This has to be a 12v lamp, which is maybe why one of the dimmers has failed.

Lighting Masters supplied the lamp to the store in Rockville, MD, but they are yet another layer of companies between me and the people who made these dimmers.
Even if I could speak Chinese I doubt that I could get this part.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I have never seen a 12 volt lighting system using medium screw bases.

So I believe that the lamp (the light bulb), despite the 0.3 ohm resistance when cold, is still a 120 volt lamp.

Just to be sure, you could connect the lamp directly (no dimmer circuitry) across the terminals of a car battery. If it glows normally brightly it is a 12 volt lamp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts