DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been searching around to see if my brothers idea will work. My parents have a built in gas cooktop that is mounted to the cabinets with storage underneath. My aunt is giving them an electric oven with a glass cooktop since she is upgrading. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to disassemble the electric cooktop and mount it in place of the gas cooktop? The reasons are due to the gas cooktop being old and starting to develop holes in the metal from rust that is behind the "stainless steel coating" and my mom needs to keep the storage space she has due to it being a small kitchen. Im not worried about having to wire up 240vac since electrical is what i do for a living. The house also has a dual layer built in oven mounted up at a decent height.

I feel like it is kinda a stupid idea.

·
Naildriver
10,638 Posts
Posting pictures of the stove area will help us. We need to see what you are seeing.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,843 Posts
IMO, going from gas to an electric cooktop is a big step backwards. Replacement gas cooktops are not that expensive.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I agree with rjniles...I’ve had a gas range all my married life.
I would hate to have to cook with electric, and if you’re not used
to it that makes it worse. I suspect your mom would hate it as well.
Gas cooking is faster to get started and more controllable than electric.

I know this was not what you were asking and this is just a suggestion...
You could buy your parents a stove top for Christmas. Have brothers
and sisters? Have everyone chip in for a great gift your parents
would enjoy. It solves many problems.

I looked up gas top ranges on Amazon prime ( free shipping) and
was presently surprised at the cost. Check out the link I provided.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gas+cooktop+30&crid=3P8I4GNR8Y8HG&qid=w v=gas+cooktop+%2Caps%2C168&ref=sr_pg_1

Reactions: rjniles

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are considering electric, consider induction. I agree with the other posters if you are going to go with Electric resistance. Induction has much more precision control and in many cases much more powerful than gas. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the extra heat put into your kitchen from the poor efficiency, or have to worry about the ventilation and make up air.

·
Naildriver
10,638 Posts
The only problem with induction is that you would have to throw away all your nice corning ware and copper bottom pots and pans. Only pans with iron content will cook on induction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts