DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fence has several exposed metal posts. I am about to have my fencing restained, so I think it would be a good time to cover them.

I would like to DIY, but having a hard time finding good instructions. I think it would be as simple as buying 3 - 1"x6"x6' dog ear fence pickets, and securing them together.

But what would I use? Brackets, screws, etc? Also how would I cap at the top?

Any video guides or instructions you can recommend?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Easy-peasy. Cut pieces of 2x4 to length and width, insert into the gaps between the metal pipe and the fence boards. Then box them in on 3 sides with new pickets. You might want to notch the new pickets to fit around the horizontal rails. Screws or nails will work, your choice. You can add liquid nails if your want, not necessary. I would not cap it, i would keep the dog ear pattern on the tops of the pickets.

Rectangle Wood Gas Fixture Wood stain

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy-peasy. Cut pieces of 2x4 to length and width, insert into the gaps between the metal pipe and the fence boards. Then box them in on 3 sides with new pickets. You might want to notch the new pickets to fit around the horizontal rails. Screws or nails will work, your choice. You can add liquid nails if your want, not necessary. I would not cap it, i would keep the dog ear pattern on the tops of the pickets.
I did what you recommended and it worked great. Much simpler than I thought.

THANK YOU!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.