DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:furious:trying to get proper instructions on how to build two 6ft. brick pillars strong enough to support a rot iron gate swinging in about 7.5 ft.on each side.Need to know how deep and how wide to make the pillar footing.Need to know if any kind of red bricks are ok to use.I`am a handyman but still trying to learn more of the mason trade.Can anyone help me?Also would like to know how much should i charge for my labor?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If the gate is 7.5' and is suspended then you will need a reinforced poured concrete pillar with a brick facing. If you are planning on putting a rolling wheel at the end of the gate then a solid brick pier will do. Most brick types will suffice for either scenario.

As far as what to charge, that's all on you. What's it worth to you?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
:furious:trying to get proper instructions on how to build two 6ft. brick pillars strong enough to support a rot iron gate swinging in about 7.5 ft.on each side.Need to know how deep and how wide to make the pillar footing.Need to know if any kind of red bricks are ok to use.I`am a handyman but still trying to learn more of the mason trade.Can anyone help me?Also would like to know how much should i charge for my labor?
Concerning your knowledge and experience, taking money for this, would in my opinion, constitute fraud.
Slap one of those happy faces right here!:help:

·
Not so new
968 Posts
Concerning your knowledge and experience, taking money for this, would in my opinion, constitute fraud.
Were are you located (frost line)?
What do yur gates way?
Watts yur labor rate?

I have to agree with Ron. Learning curve may be a little steep.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Having decided last year to build 2 "simple" 4.5' brick pillars in my front lawn, yes I think somebody is in for a nasty shock. :) Kind of like I was as I realized, omg I'm only laying about 12 bricks an hour.. All told, footings and caps and all, this project cost me the time equivalent of 2 40-hr weeks. On the bright side, my respect for masons will now never fade!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're an ass. This man clearly is attempting to learn the trade, unlike most guys these days. At least he isn't out selling dope or pimping ho's. Don't be a dickhead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts