DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a project I'm thinking about to add some stairs outside my house, and I've got a bit of a snag (at least its beyond my experience). The top of the stair carriage would sit against a landscaping wall made from 6x6 (possibly 8x8, haven't measured yet) ties, so I can't get behind the wall to screw into the carriage.

I've thought of two options:

1. Cut 2 4x4 posts & bolt them to the top of the stringers so the stairs are essentially independent, and then run some timber screws into the ties to keep everything from sliding around.
  2. Run a 2x6 header board into the ties with timber screws, notch the stringers around it & nail in some joist hangers.
My preference is #2, but is that going to be strong enough to support the stairs? Do you think I can count on the ties to support the weight?

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I'd go with #1, but totally independent of the wall, for the simple fact that you have no idea how that landscape wall is constructed. And you have seen how many of these types of walls begin to sag and lean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go with #1, but totally independent of the wall, for the simple fact that you have no idea how that landscape wall is constructed. And you have seen how many of these types of walls begin to sag and lean.
Agreed. However, the stairs are only going to be about 2' wide, so I'm worried about lateral stability if I don't tie the legs into the wall somehow.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Agreed. However, the stairs are only going to be about 2' wide, so I'm worried about lateral stability if I don't tie the legs into the wall somehow.
Well, unlesss you're sliding this job in under the radar of the local Building Department, you may want to reconsider that width. Best to stay legal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts