DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions:

1. where would I find my region's building codes for decks?

2. I'm redoing the rails on my deck and plan on using 3/4" aluminum spindles, what is the typical amount of rails per foot or how many inches between each? I'm trying to figure out how many I should purchase.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
where are you?

the code here is 4" (100mm) max opening between adjacent spindle faces.
Doesn't matter the width of the spindles, only the opening size.
And there is a 200 pound thrust factor. Can a 200 pound person lean against it without weakening the rail?

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
We're 250# here, so be sure to check with your municipality's Building Department. (I s'poze we gots mo fat folk here 'bouts.)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Check with your local municipalities building department. They will give you all the spec’s you need to build a deck in your area. In my area they hand out preliminary sample drawings/details as a guide. As per the spacing, it should be 4’’ between the pickets and if your deck is higher than 4’-0 the railing should be 42’’ high with the hand railing going down the stairs at 36’’ in height or you can match your railing height if you want.

·
Stairguy
737 Posts
you do not need to subtract baluster width as they are measured center to center. unless the balusters are really large, then you may go 5 or 6 on center. For most jobs 4" in fine. You can take the measurement in between post if you want then divide that by 4, but its always good to have a couple of extra balusters. Or you just tighten up your spacing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts