DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
State law won't override local codes adoption and the language therein, so don't spin your wheels on that.
Not true. The State has complete authority over the entire State including all cities and villages. Any authority the village has comes only by being granted/allowed by the State. States will have laws and/or constitutional provisions that specify what a local government can regulate in general as well as what they can more restrictively regulate than State law. Many times State laws/regulations cannot be overuled or further restricted by a local government.

Phospher, Call your State Electrical office and ask them whether a village can prevent a HO from doing their own electrical work. Try to get the actual law or code reference from them so you can present it to the local inspector.

BTW, the only way an inspector can legally enter the home you live in is with a court issued warrant or by your permisssion. And he cannot use the fruits of an illegal search against you. However, you should always get the required permits/inspections.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
thanks,

i have a call into my state eletrical engineers to figure out what the state code really says. i look forward to them returning my call.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Phospher,
I just looked at Wisconsin's Statutes. Statute 101.862 (4)a says that homeowners doing work in their own home are exempt from the requirement to be licensed. But the catch is they also included a line allowing local Municipalities to require a license for Homeowners by ordinance. So if your Village has an ordinance specifically requiring homeowners to have an electrical license to do electrical work in their own home then your out of luck.

It couldn't hurt to show this statute to your local permit guy and ask him to show you the local ordinance regarding HOs. If it doesn't specifically mention Home Owners I would argue that State statute allows you to get the permit. You can find the statute here:

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0101.pdf

The section of interest is on page 53

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
You ever hear the term, "won the battle, but lost the war"?

If you don't slow yourself down and let some reason prevail, you just might be experiencing that sad condition, first hand. :whistling2:

Just because you CAN whack a hornet's nest with a stick is not reason enough to do it. The painful results are seldom worth the momentary excitement of swinging the stick.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts