DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is better suited in electrical or carpentry subforum.

I wanted to know how to finish building that basement wall. I'll be rebuilding the staircase as I need to add an insulated wall 2x4 & drywall so the stair will be thinner. I'm planing on closing off the staircase.

Now, the breaker panel already is already on 2x4 and have insulation already. But it is in wood rather than drywall. If I build the wall as is, the drywall will be almost flush with the wood backing, which is no good for me, because then you see all the wires and the breaker panel. Do I add a second wall in front, to be flush with the panel face ?

Or do I build a single wall flush with the panel face which gives a 4'" gap behind the wall ?

Second question, I'm not sure how the drywall goes around the panel, it need to be fixed to studs but I can't really add any studs on the wood backing. Can I, or am I expected, to finish with a different material than drywall ?

Attachments

·
Licenced Electrician
362 Posts
I would just finish to the edge of the plywood backer for the panel.

If you are determined to hide all the wires, I would replace the FPE panel first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just finish to the edge of the plywood backer for the panel.

If you are determined to hide all the wires, I would replace the FPE panel first.
I'm finishing the basement to make a livable space, I thought all exposed wires had to be hid away. But since replacing the FPE panel, if I understand, is a job that should be done in the future; I might as well not trouble myself too much with finishing it nice and neat.
In that case, I would finish the wall to the plywood backer, and hide that plywood portion of the wall behind a simple sliding or bifold closet door for now.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,165 Posts
If you're in Ontario then that'll be an FPE Stablok panel, which is not the
same as the US FPE's. No need to replace Ont/Canadian FPE Stablok panel.

EDIT: Small "closet" with doors, perhaps bifold, is the usual way it's
done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts