DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I want to build a treehouse, minus the tree.
I think the popular thing to do is use wooden beams to support treeless treehouses, but I thought concrete or earthbags might make for something stronger or cheaper.

I've attached a photo of an example structure I want to copy, except with concrete or earthbag beams in place of wood to support the house on top.

Does anyone on DIY Chatroom have any advice or input, please?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I can only suggest to start with the local AHJ to see what they'll allow in the first place. Maybe your insurance company as well to see what they will cover.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Suggest asking this in concrete section. Those supports are more like stilts than a foundation. Concrete stilts that long would have to resist the cracking from top building moving around (wind, etc).

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,996 Posts
Ayuh,..... Concrete would cost much more than wood,....

Sand bags, sounds Dangerous,....

Both the concrete, 'n sand bags would need tons of steel reinforcement,....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hello!

I want to build a treehouse, minus the tree.
I think the popular thing to do is use wooden beams to support treeless treehouses, but I thought concrete or earthbags might make for something stronger or cheaper.

I've attached a photo of an example structure I want to copy, except with concrete or earthbag beams in place of wood to support the house on top.

Does anyone on DIY Chatroom have any advice or input, please?

Thanks!
Why can't you use the real thing-Trees. Like building a post & beam frame using properly sized logs. Are you DIY on this or hireling a professional that has the engineering background educationally to oversee the construction. How big is it going to be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts