DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I want to put a vent less fireplace in my living room. The only place I have to put it is an interior wall. Can I do this with a vent less fireplace without having a chimney or some other type vent through the wall or the roof?

If I can do this is there any instructions or YouTube video's on what material I need and how to do it? I have done a google search and looked on YouTube but cant find anything related to what I'm trying to do.

I hate the electric ones. They look cheap even the high dollar ones.

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Too much bad information about ventless gas units they aren't safe.
Is there a 2nd story above this room? Could you go up through the roof?

Bud

Reactions: dj3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too much bad information about ventless gas units they aren't safe.
Is there a 2nd story above this room? Could you go up through the roof?

Bud

Unfortunately yes there is a second story. I don't really have other options. As far as bad information, what have you heard? I definitely don't want to introduce a safety risk.

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
In your position as a consumer it is difficult to sort out the pros and cons. The no-vent industry obviously defends their products despite the potential issues they present. The primary one is a fouled combustion process that begins to emit Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is an odorless gas that can be fatal. We lose people every year here in Maine from CO although I have not read the source to be a no-vent FP.

Many will argue they are safe, I would not and my trade deals with indoor air quality. In addition to CO the combustion process produces other byproducts including large quantities of moisture. Here's some reading.

https://www.chimneychampions.com/blog/debate-continues-ventless-fireplaces/

Bud

Reactions: dj3

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Carefully read the listing data for the ventless unit. If installed correctly you will have a small unit in a large room with a window open. I would not have one. No matter how clean it is supposed to be, you are still breathing the products of combustion. Someone develops respiratory problems, will you ever know for sure that the ventless combustion was not a factor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! You have talked me out of it. I will just make sure that my next house has one. I hate not having one!

Wade

·
retired framer
38,190 Posts
Thanks guys! You have talked me out of it. I will just make sure that my next house has one. I hate not having one!

Wade
Do you have a place in a closet upstairs that you could steel 16x16 for a vent above where you would want a FP?

·
Naildriver
10,417 Posts
More of today's vented gas log fireplaces can be vented to a wall rather than up through the roof, as long as there are certain clearances. They don't look all that bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not an expert, and I'm not trying to argue. We had a propane fueled ventless fireplace in a house we owned for 8 years. We never had any issues and the CO detector never alerted.

The fireplace was in the living room and we could heat the house (1400 sq ft) without needing to run the heat pump. We bought it from Home Depot along with a nice wood mantle for about a grand. Used 2 100lb propane tanks.

We did not live where winters are extreme (Lake Anna VA) or very long. We also did not have to run it every day. It really did a great job heating our house.

Just my own experience.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
One of a kind examples can be dangerous. Certainly many ventless units are in place and working fine. But they do fail and they do present a risk for which authorities have decided that risk is too high. CO detectors come in many varieties and even the best are slow to identify a problem.

For people who want to avoid the risk they just choose (when possible) a vented heater or other option.

Bud

Reactions: gkreamer

·
retired framer
38,190 Posts
One of a kind examples can be dangerous. Certainly many ventless units are in place and working fine. But they do fail and they do present a risk for which authorities have decided that risk is too high. CO detectors come in many varieties and even the best are slow to identify a problem.

For people who want to avoid the risk they just choose (when possible) a vented heater or other option.

Bud
Don't they cause moisture issues too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's what we had in our last house, a vented natural gas fueled fireplace. Now we have a conventional wood burning fireplace.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts