DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am determined to have a covered deck built on the back of my home this summer. Anyway I would really like he deck to be 14' wide by 44' long. I was going to do a shed/lean to roof. The only problem is the back of my house changes. It goes from the back wall to a roof portion. I really want my sliding door under roof too. However to continue the roof over there with the pitch it will land at the very peak of the roof. If I run that long of a span out to 14' from the back of the house I would also have to raise up the siding on the side and cut off the soffit and make a new sofft overhang at the new roof. Also slice off the peak on the lower roof part over the sliding door and brace the new roof pitch with a knee brace. My question is can anyone think of a better way to make this happen? I really want to be 14' from the home and cover the sliding door with the back of the house as well. I tried to sketch it to the best of my ability. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

·
Naildriver
10,641 Posts
Would it be possible for you to upload pictures so we can see what you see?

·
Naildriver
10,641 Posts
My thoughts, too, Jim. With the slope of the roof over the sliders, continuing it would make the outer height well below the 7'6" that is normally accepted. You may wind up with less than 5' of height in 14' of run at that rate. Having the sliders as part of the roof system would be nice, but I think it is asking too much of the house design.

Raising the pitch of the remainder of the proposed roof would ensure proper drainage and still give adequate look out at 14'. It will be a judgment call, though.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I wouldn't do that, I would build a gabled extension coming off of only the main part of the house, heading to the back. Width about 2/3 of the width of the main part of the house. That way you don't touch your existing roof. The peak might encroach on one of those windows on the top floor, but it's not a big deal to move one window.

That would look 100% better, a shed roof stretched to the limit always has a Jed Clampett kind of look to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot ChuckF. thats the exact advice I was looking for. My only small issue is that sliding door on the left hand side I am determined to put that under roof as well since it's a finished area on the other side of that sliding door. I was wanting a roofed/enclosed area over the sliding door as well so people would track dirt in and out of the carpet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot ChuckF. thats the exact advice I was looking for. My only small issue is that sliding door on the left hand side I am determined to put that under roof as well since it's a finished area on the other side of that sliding door. I was wanting a roofed/enclosed area over the sliding door as well so people would not track dirt in and out of the carpet area.
This is what I meant to type.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My thoughts are, raise the hight of the front wall on your porch. Lower the pitch of the roof. Land the porch roof on the other roof. You can cut the eve off the origanal house and frame it in as a wall going up to what will now be the new roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot ChuckF. thats the exact advice I was looking for. My only small issue is that sliding door on the left hand side I am determined to put that under roof as well since it's a finished area on the other side of that sliding door. I was wanting a roofed/enclosed area over the sliding door as well so people would track dirt in and out of the carpet.
My thoughts are, raise the hight of the front wall on your porch. Lower the pitch of the roof. Land the porch roof on the other roof. You can cut the eve off the origanal house and frame it in as a wall going up to what will now be the new roof.
Thank you so much Marklifedo. (Great Pic too) My carpenter buddy and I did the math on it and with a 3/12 pitch (minimum I can go with shingles I am told) It makes that outer front wall of the porch 6' 2" - 6' 1" for visibility. (height to the bottom of the top plate) which is somewhat on the low side. I wasnt sure if that would be a major problem. My buddy said I can do that but he likes to keep visibility at a 6' 3" minimum on front.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the reply, The higher you can get the front wall, the better. A 6'4 inch friend is going to hit his head out front. Perhaps a stepdown from the house would give you the hight you want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, The higher you can get the front wall, the better. A 6'4 inch friend is going to hit his head out front. Perhaps a stepdown from the house would give you the hight you want.
I will say I had no intentions of putting any doors coming in and out of the front of the deck. Only the sides but this is a visibility issue. Yea maybe a step down will work. (great idea). I will have to do some serious digging for that since the deck is already sooo close to the ground. Its pretty sloped back there but at its tallest from the ground is only 1.5 foot. Then as the ground slopes towards the corner of the deck I cant event use a 2x10 floor joist like I want without digging out the corner. So with this step it can definitely be done just take some digging. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Before you get too far along, consider what a 14' wide roof is going to do for light into those windows.
As far as the wall height issue, why can't you raise it up higher and tie the new roof in higher? A low ceiling porch is going to feel dark and cramped. Maybe a couple skylights would help with that, but making it taller would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before you get too far along, consider what a 14' wide roof is going to do for light into those windows.
As far as the wall height issue, why can't you raise it up higher and tie the new roof in higher? A low ceiling porch is going to feel dark and cramped. Maybe a couple skylights would help with that, but making it taller would be an easy fix.
Thanks NotyeruncleBob. If i have a 3/12 pitch the tallest the visible beam height is 6'2"-6'3" and with that coming 14 ft from the back of the house hits the very peak of the roof on the left hand side of the picture. (Family room). I didn't want to go less than 3/12 to get a higher beam hight on the front. I believe thats what you were talking about. If I tie in at the top of the roof and push the roof up I then will cut off the overhang on the family room push the roof up higher. Tie in the taller roof now to the knee wall and run siding up higher on the sides. Also redo the soffit to the new roof pitch on the backside. from the peak to the new patio/porch. Its alot of work.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You could put a hard uncovered patio outside those sliding doors that meets up with the new covered buildout. You need an uncovered area if you are going to grill or bbq or smoke. Don't even think you are going to do that under your covered deck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts