DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am somewhat of a beginner and am looking for ideas on a project for my shed. I plan on building a 16x16 shed and was wondering about the foundation. obviously it seems more durable to go with concrete for my foundation? But what size sheathing should I use for this shed? All comments are welcome. Thank you very much for your replies.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
1/2 sheathing.
If your going to go with a slab it needs to be at least 6" above grade or the sheathing is going to rot out.
Concider building it with a Gabrel style roof for more storage area.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also built a 16x16 shed and didn't use concrete. I have a nice grade difference from front to back (around 14") so what i did was drove 4x4 pt posts into the ground and used 2x12 pt for my perimeter sometimes needing to double stack and i bolted those to the 4x4. I then went and dug out the middle and put in stone which would support my 2x6 floor joists. Its been up for over 3 years now and its a tank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You will want to check with your local Building Dept. to find out if you require a building permit. If a permit is required then ask what standards need to be met; e.g. foundation and anchoring, depth of foundation to prevent heaving when the ground freezes. Where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thats the reason I did not go with a poured foundation. A poured foundation makes the structure perminent therefore needs a building permit. Since I did not pour mine I didnt need a building permit but rather needing a different permit which didnt cost anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of your replies. Very helpful information. I will check for the the proper codes before I start. I plan on running electric to the shed which in turn is going to have to have certain codes as well. I am located in Louisville Ky but just found out that I have to leave the country for 6 months on deployment so my project will get pushed back. Thanks again for all of your answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.