DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm going to be building a closet in my basement in the are in the picture. As you can see, wires are run perpendicular along the joists above in the area where I would place the top plate. I had planned on installing XPS insulation against the concrete wall and then building the back wall. However, the wires are in the way--I was thinking I could tap con a 2x4 to the XPS and into the concrete below the joists and then attach the top plate to that, effectively making a soffit for the wires and any future wires. I could then put XPS and spray foam in the rim joist area. Anyone have any other suggestions--obviously with my method there would be a gap in insulation because it could not run all the way to the ceiling joists.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps a little illustration will help. I know its bad but all I have is paint. I would do as shown and then build soffit. Is the gap above the foam board on the wall and the foam board on the rim joist going to create a problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned about the insulation void too. I'm not sure how to get around it. perhaps I can move some of the wires closest to the wall so that I can seal between the insulation in the rim joist areas and the wall insulation.

As far as future access. I was thinking I could put in an access panel as this will just be a closet. I was also thinking I could mount a piece of 2" PVC conduit in the soffit so that I could pull any future necessary wires through that.

Lastly, there is an area in front of this closet (future hallway) that does not have a ceiling yet, where I could run future wires if necessary (before I eventually finish that)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.