DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read on a blog a couple of steps that you can take to make an area a little more sound proofed. Essentially it was take some sort of material- sheetrock- and attach it will sound dampening adhesive. Along with the obvious things like using materials around the room to absorb sound, a door sweep, etc.

My concern is that would that make the walls come out further and leave a gap from the baseboard and original wall and therefore cause you to have to redo the baseboard?

Not sure why it matters but it is a bedroom. All rooms could use sound proofing but bedrooms are first priority. And yes I have googled sound proofing.

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
Want to make an omelet going to have to crack some eggs.
Google "sound proofing".
Any right way is going to involve adding density.
May want to take the time to add more info.
We have no idea what room it is, where it is in the home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Want to make an omelet going to have to crack some eggs.
Google "sound proofing".
Any right way is going to involve adding density.
May want to take the time to add more info.
We have no idea what room it is, where it is in the home.
I'm sorry. That wasn't my question. My question was won't the wall stick out further with adding a layer of sheetrock?

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
Think about that question for a min.
Really think adding a layer of sheetrock is even going to be noticed?
For any real sound proofing far more needs to be done.
Forget the "blogs" and do the suggested google search on "sound proofing a room" for real suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
12,215 Posts
I'm sorry. That wasn't my question. My question was won't the wall stick out further with adding a layer of sheetrock?
Yes and it will effect all trim, door and window jambs, electrical switches and outlets too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
its going to take more than sheetrock. your real prob is deciding how soundproof you want it and what method will fit your budget and level of construction you want to get into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts