DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A house I'm looking at was built in 1905 and currently has no heating except for a 50+ year old gas furnace in the living room floor (see picture below -- the two doors in the picture lead into two small bedrooms). I guess they must have slept with the bedroom doors open and just heated the whole house, but it seems like such a waste. This room is also open to the kitchen.

Most importantly, this house has very high ceilings! It also has one (or more) ceiling fans in each room, which is unusual for this area (it never gets over 70 degrees here, and even then it's too windy to really be warm -- we're on the north coast of CA in a foggy, rainy zone). I'm guessing the many ceiling fans are to push the heat back down because of the ceilings being so high? Right...? Definitely not for AC purposes!

I'm on a tight budget right now, so does anyone have suggestions (maybe even just temporary?) for good wall/floor/space heaters?

I like the look of these "retro" radiators, but Amazon reviews say they catch on fire: :eek:

DeLonghi retro radiator

So...I guess matching the look of the old house may be out of the question... Any suggestions for other good heaters, permanent or portable? Thanks!

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Doc! That looks like it may be a good long-term solution for me to save up for (I really am on a budget :( ).

More about where I live: It occasionally dips down into the 30s in winter, but that's about as cold as it gets. Being from Southern California, I find this to be very, very cold...but I realize maybe I need less BTUs than I think I do. :laughing:

Right now I live in an in-law unit on the beach, a studio space about 400 sq ft, with no heat at all, and not the best insulation. We heat the living space with one of these Lakewood oil-filled portable radiators, but I'm a little afraid of it, as the cord and plug do get very, very hot. And now I've read a couple reviews about this type of heater setting outlets on fire. :(

Lakewood Oil-Filled Radiator

Would ceramic radiators, without oil, be safer and/or more efficient, until I can get a real heating system installed by a pro? Does anyone have any suggestions for favorite space heaters that are safe, in the meantime?

Also, what about replacing the old under-the-floor gas furnace with a new one that's more efficient? I haven't been able to find anything like that online, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm not used to gas heat at all, and that is definitely not something I'd want to tackle myself, hooking anything up to gas lines... :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.