DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone.

This just went live and while it may not be a DIY site, the budget calculator does apply to DIY budgeting as well (you guys just beat those numbers whenever you can)

https://www.marshkitchens.com/budget-calculator

Check it out, see what you think and if it breaks, shoot me a message and I will have the devs look into it.

·
retired framer
49,110 Posts
What's up everyone.

This just went live and while it may not be a DIY site, the budget calculator does apply to DIY budgeting as well (you guys just beat those numbers whenever you can)

https://www.marshkitchens.com/budget-calculator

Check it out, see what you think and if it breaks, shoot me a message and I will have the devs look into it.
What are you trying to accomplish.
The idea of saying a bathroom might or could or should cost 15% is OK but does that apply the same for a condo and a house sitting where the land has the same value as the house. Many people would consider both house and land as a home but that might mean people with that house would be spending much more than someone in a condo of the same value.

I would think if you want to make it usable it has to have a lot more info. Like sq ft. powder room. main bathroom, on suit. Then you might need a breakdown of %s for fixtures, finishes, heat and whatever else you can think of.
There are many variables like high end, economy and some in the middle but with enough usable info. I could see people using it and you might get the traffic you are looking for. :wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response guys! I understand that especially here where folks are used to breaking this kind of thing down it seems a bit bare.

I think the general concept was initially helping people set their expectations going into the process.

How would you expect a class setting (economy, luxury, powder room) to change these numbers? I mean you can reset the %'s yourself, but good user experience is definitely something we want to provide

·
4,080 Posts
After renovating every home we bought the passed 24 years (4) today I have come to one conclusion.

During those years before any large project I started on our homes inside or out, I would measure out the project accurately, investigated possible structural issues. With my plan drawn, project in my mind, I would then go to the store with my material lists and get my costs.

Even still with my due diligence, by the time I finished the projects I found out that I should have added 30% to my projected budget ....then I would have at least been close. JMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like that's always a trend with those HGTV shows. They always find SOMETHING wrong with the house that brings the budget up an extra 10 grand. It's pretty accurate though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts