DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have carpet in our kitchen which is a pain in the butt cause its cheap carpet and stains horribley. Were wanting to get tile in there, but the floor in one spot is buckled really bad, so i'm wondering how do you go about fixing that? and if we payed somebody to fix it how much would it cost? I'd like to know anything and everything about repairing it. Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have carpet in our kitchen which is a pain in the butt cause its cheap carpet and stains horribley. Were wanting to get tile in there, but the floor in one spot is buckled really bad, so i'm wondering how do you go about fixing that? and if we payed somebody to fix it how much would it cost? I'd like to know anything and everything about repairing it. Thanks!
Sorry can't really make a suggestion about how to remedy your problem. Just have to say that is a perfect reason NOT to have hardwood floors in a kitchen. One spill not caught in time and the wood is toast. Undoubtedly what happened to yours.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ummm Mike she said she has Carpet in her kitchen not hardwood. I am thinking you need to rip out the wood and put down a good subfloor of plywood then get tips on tiling :) this place is great to find help.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ummm Mike she said she has Carpet in his kitchen not hardwood
I think Mike was just trying to prove a point from other threads on this one.
Even though I could point out hundreds of thousands of houses that has had wood in the kitchens for over 100 years...

DIY tile can be a bugger. There is a reason tile guys can be expensive. But I do agree with Mike that estimating based on that little of info is not realistic.
Maybe with some pictures we may get closer....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea I have seen plenty of homes with hardwood in the kitchen not a really smart thing. Carpet in a kitchen is a whole other story I had a friend who's house burned down because she had carpet in her kitchen.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Carpet in a kitchen is a whole other story I had a friend who's house burned down because she had carpet in her kitchen.
Not a good reason to keep carpet out of the Kitchen.
Stains are a better argument...but i wouldn't feel "stupid" if I put Carpet in there.
Just unpopular :)

Yea I have seen plenty of homes with hardwood in the kitchen not a really smart thing.
Perhaps instead we should say this:
"I have seen wood in kitchens, it's not a smart thing
a) if you expect moisture will not affect it
b) you have an active family and little control over moisture in those areas

plumbing is not a good enough reason IMO.
sure you may get a flood...but that same flood could affect Vinyl as well.
I redo Vinyl through insurance weekly because of floods.
Tile is the best choice for water...but what about other problems from tile?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts