DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've e been laying 30lbf felt overlapping(2 layers) and it appears I didn't lay it as flat as I thought. What do I need to do to address the issue. Can I add some roofing tar at the ends? More nails at the raised spots? Attached some pictures for reference. It will be a concrete tile covering the felt.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
that looks like a normal application to me.
I've seen some that were rained on for a week and looked a lot worse than that.
are you going to lay the tile yourself or did you hire a professional company ??
I'm doing it myself, installing solar. The issue is I tried to force the lap along the line and it buckled in places.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP - this is roll roofing - not flamed down with tar and laid with a roller, so the look will be similar to what you show. Also, heat from the sun can expand the product after it's rolled out. Many times, the lengths are cut and laid out to soften in the sun and then folded in halves, lengthwise (similar to "booking" wallpaper), a few times and dragged to the final location unfolded and nailed down. That can give you a smoother lay - but either is okay.

Inserting, troweling, injecting tar in the humps and then nailing those locations will only move the hump to another spot - you'll just be chasing ripples all afternoon.

You're going to be putting shingles (or tiles) over it judging from the pictures (from the top down? Maybe you're doing a repair?) - so, once those are on you won't lose any style points from the street view!
I will be laying concrete tile. I was just worried about the air pockets I created when I buckled the felt trying to get it along the line. I live in Vegas and am wondering over time if it will crack. Someone suggested that I can slide felt under the pockets or just relay it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Often folks use hammer stapler and about a million staples but for red head nails that looks as good as it gets. You opted to leave the top courses alone to have a place to lay the lower courses? Or does it look like you are working in two stages? Flashing around vents and chimneys must be interesting with cement tile. Post a photo of a vent flashing or chimney. Once exposed this is your best chance to get it right.
Two stages because it's a large area. No chimney just vents, I will post once I reach them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you lay the tiles, you won't notice the "bubbles".
It's a good idea to lay the tiles asap, before the felt wrinkles.

When I do a roof, I make sure there's no rain coming in the next couple of days, I lay 30 lbs felt 2 rows at a time, starting at the lowest point, tile to cover them, then lay 2 more rows...
Picture #5 looks like the top is already tiled. Is it?
No I'm doing it in two parts. The issue I have is I tried to get it along the line and I created buckled with air pockets. Someone said I could slide felt underneath or to start again. The top part is flatter but I definitely buckled parts on the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts