DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local Epoxy company out to redo the epoxy in my garage. It had original epoxy flooring from 2006 and was pretty worn. Yesterday the guy prepped/sanded/etc and laid the epoxy and flakes. Today came back to do the polyurethane clear coat and was done after a couple hours. However I am not sure if the bubbles I am seeing is "normal" or if I am being too picky? I am hoping to get input from the community here. I did not pay the guy, which he was understandably upset at, so I need to decide quickly if I should pay him or what I should do. Attached are four photos of the finished product that is still slightly sticky and I was told will take another day to dry. I was told that the little dots are the anti-slip/grip functionality, which I first thought were bubbles, so I am mostly wondering about the actual bubbles that you can see in the photos. They are not everywhere but definitely there!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Interesting issue. Here is an explanation of what is happening. Based on what I read there, I would have thought that the circles would have been apparent yesterday after the epoxy went down.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The moon craters look bad, i think you were correct not to pay. You said this is the second time, a couple of years apart. That would seem to eliminste a couple of causes mentioned in the article.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The moon craters look bad, i think you were correct not to pay. You said this is the second time, a couple of years apart. That would seem to eliminste a couple of causes mentioned in the article.
Thanks for the input. This is the first time I am having the floor epoxied since it was originally done 15 years ago with the new house build. The issue is definitely due to something called "out gasing" but I am just trying to figure out whether to get it completely done by someone else(not paying the guy at all for this job, probably putting me on a hit list), or to just accept it as it is and hope for the best. I have no confidence in their "warranty" either if something happens in the future like peeling. But who knows if any other company could do it better(without bubbles).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
None of the causes of outgassing mentioned in that article that I linked suggested that the craters were indicative of any other problem with the epoxy, like possible de-bonding in the future. The article reads “While outgassing bubbles or craters may be unattractive, they do not affect the bond strength of the coating.”, so you should evaluate this problem just on its cosmetic impact. Things like this, especially when it’s something that I’ve done, bug me greatly initially, but after a few months I barely notice them. In your photo with the step in it the craters are not visible, and that view from 5-6 feet up is what people will be looking at in the future, not the view from a few inches up. I’d let the installer know that I was unhappy with the end result, but I’d pay up.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Pay the man.

The fix is to grind down the craters and touch up the epoxy. I don't think you would be happy with that .

I would let the installer know that the bubbles are caused by out gassing and not the bs reason he gave you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts