DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 12 inch level and it has 4 windows. Two horizontal, one 45 and one vertical.
Why do the 2 horizontals read differently ? 1 reads level and the other doesnt and has multiple lines on the vial.
What is the purpose of that ?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts
Because you likely have a crappy level.

Level Test:
Whether checking for level or plumb, put the level on a surface (doesn't matter if the surface is level or plumb) see what it says, flip the level 180 degrees and if both readings are the same then the level is good to go. If you get different readings the level needs adjustment (if available). For levels that can't be adjusted, you're just sol.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because you likely have a crappy level.

Level Test:
Weather checking for level or plumb, put the level on a surface (doesn't matter if the surface is level or plumb) see what it says, flip the level 180 degrees and if both readings are the same then the level is good to go. If you get different readings the level needs adjustment (if available). For levels that can't be adjusted, you're just sol.
So both windows should read level ? Why does one window have multiple lines on it and the other one doesnt ? That has to mean something.

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
Multiple line would be for more accuracy or if you want a constant pitch like on a drain line. You make the pipe all the way 2 lines off level or whatever slope you want 3 line, 4 lines etc. But both should read the same.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive lighting Wood Flooring Gadget Gas

Multiple line would be for more accuracy or if you want a constant pitch like on a drain line. You make the pipe all the way 2 lines off level or whatever slope you want 3 line, 4 lines etc. But both should read the same.
I just realized they both read level. The window on the right has the lines for angle adjustment like you said.
Thank you for explaining that.

·
Naildriver
18,699 Posts
Both vials are basically reading the same. The vial on the right is for degradation such as pipes. Where the bubble sits, now is almost level, and should be between the last line on the left side and the first one on the right side. The left vial is almost reading level. Find a way, shims, etc. to make it read level on the left vial and the right one should be right in there.

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both vials are basically reading the same. The vial on the right is for degradation such as pipes. Where the bubble sits, now is almost level, and should be between the last line on the left side and the first one on the right side. The left vial is almost reading level. Find a way, shims, etc. to make it read level on the left vial and the right one should be right in there.
Yes I realized that. I had it sitting on an unlevel workbench. They both read level when checked.
Thank you all for the info. I learned something new today on spirit levels.

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
629 Posts
Many years ago I purchased a 9" level, not realizing it was a plumbing level.

Figured it out the first time I tried to use it for bending conduit as an electrician.

I used it for a few days and decided that was not the level to use.

Had some fun with it when someone would ask to borrow a level.

Got my Journeyman good when he mounted a panel can using that level.

Talk about a crooked panel.

I thought it was funny, him not so much.

But he did get a kick out of it when we left it on the conduit bending table we set up.

Seems everyone's conduit runs were a bit off level.

Foreman threw it off the 10th floor of the 20 story we were constructing.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many years ago I purchased a 9" level, not realizing it was a plumbing level.

Figured it out the first time I tried to use it for bending conduit as an electrician.

I used it for a few days and decided that was not the level to use.

Talk about a crooked panel.

I thought it was funny, him not so much.

But he did get a kick out of it when we left it on the conduit bending table we set up.

Seems everyone's conduit runs were a bit off level.

Foreman threw it off the 10th floor of the 20 story we were constructing.
So what's the difference with a plumbing level ?

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
This level is the first tool the comes out of the bag I when I start running drains. I also have a 2ft level like this I use for ground roughs. The graduated vile must be at the high end of the pipe or you're going to have problems.....

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
629 Posts
So what's the difference with a plumbing level ?
You started this thread and replies have explained what the differences in the two sight glasses on your level are for.

If you are installing plumbing, the bubble sight glass on the right is graduated, each graduation equals a certain slope per foot, because waste needs to run down hill.

You still seem to be confused on how the level works.

Unless you're going to become a plumber, I'd get a a different level.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You started this thread and replies have explained what the differences in the two sight glasses on your level are for.

If you are installing plumbing, the bubble sight glass on the right is graduated, each graduation equals a certain slope per foot, because waste needs to run down hill.

I understand how it works. Thank you. Be happy.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The picture in a post above has many lines on the slope bubble. Mine has fewer lines, so at a glance it looks more normal and thus is more confusing.

Someone used mine when checking the level of a floor. "Wow, this floor is awful! No matter where I put the level, the floor slopes huge!" :ROFLMAO:

At first, I thought the floor actually was that bad, until realizing the person was using my level. And then there was much laughing.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
On a trim-out, every time I walked by a device I mounted it looked crooked. After several adjustments I realized that wasn't my pocket level; cheap advertising level. Not long after, I started spraying my tools pink. Never "lost" a pink one. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts

Not OP, but as a carpenter and a person who DIYs electrical and plumbing, I have never seen a level like this. I read the replies with interest. When Texican57 referred to a plumbing level, it was not immediately clear that the level we are talking about is a plumbing level. Further, since Texican's story is about someone using a plumbing level and ending up with an unlevel result, I was still confused because if I was holding a level like the one in the picture, I would know which bubble to read.

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
629 Posts
I believe this is the level I purchased, that I call a plumbing level.

It has only one bubble for finding level, or in this case finding slope.

With the single bubble in the center, you have only that bubble to determine level.

Someone unfamiliar the level, would put the bubble center of the center tube, which would make whatever being installed, out of level.

The level shown is showing close to level, even though the bubble is off center.

Now do youse guys get it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts