DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a house and while fixing what we thought was a couple broken elbows, we found out that there is at least one broken pipe behind the cabinets. To get to it, we will have to pull out all of the handmade cabinetry which seems to be impossible without destroying it. We would also have to remove a bunch of tile from the walls. This pipe is on an outside wall... It seems to me that it would be easier to pull the siding off the back of the house and get access that way... is that even an option? Which would be easier? If this house wasn't such an amazing buy, I wouldn't even deal with it. But it is, so here I am.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
If the only way you can get to them is by removing the cabinets, then that is what you will have to do. There is no easy way if the problem lies where you are stating that it is.

Is this a bank owned Foreclosure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a foreclosure, being sold as is... it's been empty for a long time. All the pipes we already fixed are pvc, so I'm assuming they froze at some point... we've already put $1000 into this house just to get it "up to code" with little things here and there. They want the water on to complete the appraisal but I just don't think it's possible without pulling out the whole kitchen, which I have no problem doing AFTER it's ours. Lord knows it's going to take more than a day to put back together. But you don't think it would be easier to just pop the siding off outside?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
You could just pull PEX. But first the old Copper has to come out.

If you can get to the screws that hold the cabinet to the wall for the Sink Base. That may be the best route.

Personally I would take advantage of a clean slate and put in all new cabinets and counters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably right. I think we're just going to replace all the water lines before we move in. I just don't understand how there are so many leaks! I mean, someone had to live there before... maybe that's why they have it back to the bank... however. All the water, kitchen and bathrooms are all pretty centrally located, so I don't think it'll be too bad.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,352 Posts
Unless you have an unusual situation. I see no reason you could not remove siding and sheathing to access pipes. Show us a picture of the outside wall in that area. What is the exterior siding?

Reactions: djlandkpl

·
Registered
729 Posts
Other option

It is a foreclosure, being sold as is... it's been empty for a long time. All the pipes we already fixed are pvc, so I'm assuming they froze at some point... we've already put $1000 into this house just to get it "up to code" with little things here and there. They want the water on to complete the appraisal but I just don't think it's possible without pulling out the whole kitchen, which I have no problem doing AFTER it's ours. Lord knows it's going to take more than a day to put back together. But you don't think it would be easier to just pop the siding off outside?
Another possible option depending on the layout of the house: Route new piping a different way, like through the floor into the sink, hopefully without tearing out cabinets. Repipe to everything that those pipes supplied.

Also, keep in mind that if it's too old, sewer line may need to be redone at some point soon. Might be worth getting it scoped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another possible option depending on the layout of the house: Route new piping a different way, like through the floor into the sink, hopefully without tearing out cabinets. Repipe to everything that those pipes supplied.

Also, keep in mind that if it's too old, sewer line may need to be redone at some point soon. Might be worth getting it scoped.
We talked about it this morning, I think that's exactly what we're going to do. It seems like there is too much piping in there already. I don't know what they were trying to do but looking at it, it could have been done with about half the material they used! So we're just going to run new pipe that's accessible from inside the cabinets. And I've thought about the sewer line, that scares the hell out of me too...

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,352 Posts
With vinyl siding working from the outside is a piece if cake. I did exactly that to lower my drain trap arm for a new sink.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.