DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was pulling a 250 ft run when my nightmare started now i have about 125 ft of coaxl and cat5 cable in my conduit which is underground i was using mule tape my hope is i can pour something into the conduit ti disolve the mule tape so i can back the wire back outany ideas

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Not sure I understand (missing punctuation doesn't help). Why can't you pull it out from the end you started at and begin again?

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
What size and type of pipe? What type and how may cables? Any "dissolvling" agent used will probably negate using the pipe further.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Actually you have 12 cables down there, which is larger than the emt. Looks like you are going to be doing some digging. Personally, I would have just pulled one coax & one cat-6, than that many.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont think bundle is to big. i could take all wires and slide the into pipe . i dont know. all i do know is tape did snap and is in pipe and i cannot pull it out from end it started from without breaking cable into.i hope if i can disolve tape i may be able to pull wire out of pipe .but i dont know what will disolve the tape

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I can't imagine a solvent that would dissolve mule tape (likely PE) without damaging the good stuff in there. Not sure if you could pump in some water/soap mixture to get it lubed a bit, pull it all out, then blow out emt to dry it and start over. Likely emt is too narrow for cables being inserted so you'll likely need fewer cables or a bigger pipe IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
broken mule tape

i agree with you but clueless as to what i can use to disolve tape .i have tried plugging off line with air adapter and no success this is all bad .

·
1,498 Posts
Mule tape is made from polyester fibres. I doubt you'll find anything to dissolve it that won't cause damage to everything else. A ball of Mule Tape is actually quite slippery, however it could be snagged in the conduit. I think digging is your only option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is about 237 ft is my best estimate.cant really say as i didnt put it in but i hope it only has 2 90's in it and may they be long sweeps but i dont know for sure but it is riged.im on my way back to job site to try to put air to it and try to blow it back as i pull on it .i appreciate any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
You may have also damaged the cables by applying too much tension during the pull.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
A. too many cables for the conduit size.
B. too long a pull without JB access
C. not enough lube...(may have saved the day)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts