DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla, and while I was tightening the coolant intake back down after changing my thermostat, broke one of the two studs that hold it down. :censored: Now the coolant intake is spraying coolant all over the engine! Is there a way I can remove and replace the broken stud? What kind of tools will I need to do this?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Picture? What do you mean you broke the stud, the stud snapped, the hole in the block is striped? In an emergency you could run a large wood screw to hold the outlet down. It will hold but never take it out. Hope you did not use one of those fail safe t-stats.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,203 Posts
I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla, and while I was tightening the coolant intake back down after changing my thermostat, broke one of the two studs that hold it down. :censored: Now the coolant intake is spraying coolant all over the engine! Is there a way I can remove and replace the broken stud? What kind of tools will I need to do this?
Ayuh,.... No doubt the stud screws into whatever piece it is,...
If that is Aluminum, yer in a world of hurt...

Aluminum, 'n steel grow together over time,...
Hot heat, 'n patience might get it out...

If ya take the T-stat housin' off, How much stud is still stickin' up,..??

What is it screwed into, the motor's Head,..??

Is the area reasonably accessible, or under/ behind/ f*^%in' Hidden,..??
Could ya swing a BFHammer, 'n easily Wack it dead center, 'n squarely,..??

·
Registered
37,460 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bondo:
I have a propane torch and was thinking about heating it up and whacking it with a hammer (Solves everything), but it's kind of a tight fit in there. Not hard to get to, just behind the distributor, but I don't think I'd be able to get at it with a hammer. Is there a drill bit I could use to bore it out or unscrew it that way? There is a little bit of thread left on the stud, but it's not much. Maybe if I ground that side of the thermostat housing down a bit? The studs don't go straight into the block, there's a part between the thermostat housing and the block. Thanks!

joecaption:
That might work! It's broken off pretty flat. Mind you, it's not a bolt, but a stud that a nut goes over to hold the thermostat housing on. Looks like it's steel but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Those work fine for a soft bolt but a hardned stud would take a colbalt titanium coated left hand drill bit to drill a hole.
If you try and use a right hand drill you run the risk of screwing it in further.
What one you pick use a prick punch first to mark the center of the bolt.
PLaces like MSC.com, McMaster Carr any local industrial supply house should have the left hand bits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm guessing it wasn't very hard, since it snapped pretty easily. I wasn't laying into it or anything :p Studs don't look corroded so I don't think it was because of rust or anything. Will try that in the morning! Thanks folks.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,203 Posts
Bondo:
I have a propane torch and was thinking about heating it up and whacking it with a hammer (Solves everything), but it's kind of a tight fit in there. Not hard to get to, just behind the distributor, but I don't think I'd be able to get at it with a hammer. Is there a drill bit I could use to bore it out or unscrew it that way? There is a little bit of thread left on the stud, but it's not much. Maybe if I ground that side of the thermostat housing down a bit? The studs don't go straight into the block, there's a part between the thermostat housing and the block. Thanks!

joecaption:
That might work! It's broken off pretty flat. Mind you, it's not a bolt, but a stud that a nut goes over to hold the thermostat housing on. Looks like it's steel but I'm no expert.
Ayuh,.... Propane ain't near enough heat, quick enough...

Ya need O2/ Ac, or a Welder, which would no doubt be Better in yer case,...

If ya weld a Nut to the protruding piece, 'n quench it, then turn it out with a wrench...

Ya really can't do Nothin', til ya get the T-stat housing Outa the way....

How 'bout some Pictures,..??

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
After removing the t stat housing can you thread a nut onto the stud? If so I would loc tite a nut to the stud then just screw it out. Can you cut a slot in the stud and screw it out, probably not. Oh, and pb blaster is your friend.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Did you cross thread the bolt? Is this a wet hole? If flush or below, try a pick and see if you can back it out. A bolt without a head does not have any clamping load on it, just the friction of the threads. If pick doesn't work, use a left hand drill bit.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Before you try unscrewing it you need to determine if it a pressed in stud or a threaded one. Good chance it is a threaded one, but I have seen pressed studs before. Most likely not in aluminum though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.