DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old basement wondow that needs to be replaced but is not really useful because I am about to build a deck right over that area anyways. Outside the window are the small red bricks so I was thinking of just getting some red bricks and closing it in from the outside. I woudl like to backfill this area so I was wondering if its ok to backfill red bricks.

Seems that people usually use cinder blocks for backfilled areas but I wasn't sure if that was because it was cheaper or if its bad to have red brick underground. I know that these exterior red bricks are veneer and not structural but this would only be about 18" underground.

Thanks

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
There are hundreds of variety of bricks. Some are exclusively for use indoors. These are typically softer, more porous brick, and the will not hold up in outdoor applications. Outdoor brick are harder and less porous, and around here they are often sold as pavers or chimney brick. You cannot tell by the color whether a brick is outdoor or indoor, many bricks are red (comes from the iron oxide I believe), and only some red bricks are outdoor. You need to get someone local who can identify if the specific bricks you have are good for outdoor use. If you place soil against indoor brick, it will not last long.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are hundreds of variety of bricks. Some are exclusively for use indoors. These are typically softer, more porous brick, and the will not hold up in outdoor applications. Outdoor brick are harder and less porous, and around here they are often sold as pavers or chimney brick. You cannot tell by the color whether a brick is outdoor or indoor, many bricks are red (comes from the iron oxide I believe), and only some red bricks are outdoor. You need to get someone local who can identify if the specific bricks you have are good for outdoor use. If you place soil against indoor brick, it will not last long.
So as long as it is outdoor brick I am fine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts