DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Porcelain Tile

HELP! I am having my nearly century old brick chimney and fireplace re-lined and tuck pointed. The hearth is constructed of porcelain tiles, with a smooth surface. The tiles were possibly glazed, although dulled now. Anyway, I arrived home after the contractor had left for the day and noticed one of the hearth tiles was missing. When I called, he asked if it was there before they had started work, which IT WAS. He said they'd have to replace it, but obviously, it will be virtually impossible to do that. I have no idea what they did with the missing tile. Not sure what to do now . . . I am afraid that any replacement tile will just look wrong. Replacing the entire hearth is cost prohibitive and I wish to maintain the original look, anyhow. I did find a site on the net, which does replicas, but OUCH--the $750 minimum order is much too expensive for my budget. Any suggestions will be appreciated--thanks!

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
Replacing one brick will look like odd mismatch. If you could find something close, it might be possible to replace several in a pattern so it would look planned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction

I have decided that they are actually porcelain tiles, not a type of brick. Wondering if anyone makes custom tiles . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts