DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The primary project was to point and (re)paint the exposed part of the brick foundation. I discovered something and don't know how to proceed.

I pushed some soil away from the wall in order to avoid getting the roller dirty. I then noticed that the below grade parging has some gaps. I've done the screwdriver test and much of it is adhered well enough but there are some problem areas. I've not had water problems in the basement except some seepage through the floor during a record setting one-day rain in April (unfinished basement). I don't have the time or money to do a full waterproofing project. Nevertheless, I have to think there is something I could do to at least temporarily reduce water penetration. I should note that it's a 1904 house and a double wythe foundation.

Area of concern

Closer view of gap below window

Closer view of corner

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
' I've not had water problems in the basement except some seepage through the floor during a record setting one-day rain in April ',,, many call those ' slight seepages ' or ANY seepage WATER PROBLEMS ! ! ! ' (unfinished basement). I don't have the time or money - have you gotten a quote from a pro or 2 ? just wonderin' how you know how much it'll cost :huh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
' I've not had water problems in the basement except some seepage through the floor during a record setting one-day rain in April ',,, many call those ' slight seepages ' or ANY seepage WATER PROBLEMS ! ! ! ' (unfinished basement). I don't have the time or money - have you gotten a quote from a pro or 2 ? just wonderin' how you know how much it'll cost :huh:
I haven't sought any quotes. In my original message, I was trying to convey the idea that I uncovered this during a wholly unrelated project. My online research did not reveal anything that would help me understand what I was seeing.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
You are seeing a potential mess----water will seep under that brick and rot the sill plate---termites and other bug can crawl in through the weep holes/loose mortar and eat your framing.

Get someone in there with a shovel to lower the grade around the foundation--------

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
I would at least dig down further below grade, tuck point any missing mortar and apply some foundation sealer.
Looks like there almost no grade away from the foundation which can cause issues.
Is there gutters?
Is there a low laying area where you could gravity drain a French drain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would at least dig down further below grade, tuck point any missing mortar and apply some foundation sealer.
Looks like there almost no grade away from the foundation which can cause issues.
Is there gutters?
Is there a low laying area where you could gravity drain a French drain?
Thank you for your response.

Gutters: Yes but no. Most rain goes into the gutter system but some drops down right there by the basement window. For that non-gutter water, I was thinking of adding a catch basin with a 10 foot pipe that leads to a pop-up emitter.

Regrading: that is the next project now that the foundation is painted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are seeing a potential mess----water will seep under that brick and rot the sill plate---termites and other bug can crawl in through the weep holes/loose mortar and eat your framing.

Get someone in there with a shovel to lower the grade around the foundation--------
Thank you for the response.

The bricks that are near the top of the foundation are in great shape. The only pointing was in the 18 inches closest to the present grade.

I am looking to regrade as the next project.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
That's a good idea----with an unfinished basement,the wet sill plate has a chance to dry out between heavy rains, but eventually damage will occur--

I'm working on a repair job caused by grading above the brick---there was a lot of hidden damage because the basement was finished---major mold behind the walls---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts