DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced pool pump motor (ao smith)new one keeps tripping breaker box, only difference is old motor max amp was 18.6/9.3 and new one is 22.0/11.0 , the breakers are two 20 amps, is this my problem, do i need bigger breakers?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Do you have a motor wired for 120 Volts connected to a 240 Volt source?

That would trip it out.

Keep resetting it and you'll burn the motor out in short order .... (let the smoke out as they say)...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
i just replaced pool pump motor (ao smith)new one keeps tripping breaker box, only difference is old motor max amp was 18.6/9.3 and new one is 22.0/11.0 , the breakers are two 20 amps, is this my problem, do i need bigger breakers?
If the new one is 22.0a and your running it on 20a breakers
WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM !

Bigger breakers,
make sure the cables can handle the extra load first !

·
Electrician
227 Posts
Dmxtothemax is a little off. The first, larger number is the 120v amp draw. The smaller number is the 240v amps. Kbsparky is correct. A breaker that has two levers with a handle tie between them, or as you say "two 20 amps", is 240v. That's the second number, 11 amps, well under your breaker rating. Check the wiring diagram on the motor. Then remove the access cover to make sure the jumpers are on the right spade lugs for 240v. Also, make sure you didn't pinch a wire under the cover and make a short to metal.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
What is the horsepower rating of the motor?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Even at 11a, if it is just the running current,
This could mean a starting current that could easily exceed 20A.
Unless it is a time lag breaker.
But it would have to be way higher (at least 30-40A) to trip it instantly. An 11A centrifugal pump motor really should start on a 20A breaker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts