DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,
I have a GE Monogram 6 Burner Gas Stove (ZGP366N5RSS). My breaker has recently started to trip after turning the oven on Bake. I’ve checked the breaker (actually swapped it) and same problem, eliminating, bad breaker. What I noticed is that when I put the stove on BROIL it doesn’t trip the breaker. Only when I turn it on BAKE after maybe 20-30 seconds, I'll hear a click after turning it on then the breaker pops. I'm using a Siemens Type QAF2, AFCI, ARC FAULT 20amp and again, swapped with same breaker and same thing happened. My buddy who's electrician put a clamp meter on the breaker and it was tripping around 3.5amps.

Any thoughts? GE charges $120 to come out then parts, I’ve heard some say it may be the igniter as the broil igniter is different than the bake igniter, not sure and others say short to ground on the gas valve solenoid for the bake element or the wiring to the gas valve for bake. Any advice or help is appreciated.

I took a look at the igniter and looked fine (see pics). I also tried to tug on the wire to the igniter to see where it snaps in if i needed to replace and it won't pull out (i removed that cover plate when i tried). Uggh. hate to call GE... stove is practically new 2016...

Thanks for any help
Thanks & happy holidays.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,626 Posts
An arc fault breaker may not play happy with a hot surface igniter. Have you tried a regular non AFCI breaker in it's place?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
With the delay you describe, it points to the gas valve or associated wiring. You can switch the breaker wire to a non-GFCI to see if it still trips. If it doesn't, then it'll mean you have a ground fault somewhere in the gas valve or associated wiring. If it does trip on the non-GFCI breaker, you likely have a failed gas valve or associated wiring.

That'll give you some insight anyway.

ps. Be very careful with that igniter, sometimes they break when you just look at them!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Unplug the igniter the turn the power back on and turn the oven on bake and see if the breaker trips. If it doesn't plug it back in and unplug the gas valve then turn the oven on. If the breaker doesn't trip . Unplug the wires from the switch that controls the oven if the breaker doesn't trip call for service. It's a process of elimination one component at at a time.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,164 Posts
Don't know about the Siemens Type QAF2, AFCI, ARC FAULT 20amp specifically,
but most (maybe all) AFCI's these days have some type of indicating system
that identifies the type of fault. This should tell you you if it's overcurrent,
arc fault, or gnd fault.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The igniter connection on my Maytag was in the back under a sheet metal cover and couldn't be replaced from within the oven. Perhaps yours is the same (likely as the connector is plastic and wouldn't take the oven temp).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts