DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 amp circuit which runs a small outdoor fountain and some low voltage lighting in my backyard. The electrical work/installation was done about 18 months ago, and there has never been a problem. Two days ago I woke up and noticed the fountain wasn't working. I went downstairs and re-set the breaker, and the fountain worked fine for about 15 minutes, then it went off. I unplugged the transformer for the lighting, leaving only the fountain on the circuit, and re-set the breaker. It worked fine for 15 minutes, then tripped again. Two more re-sets, and again the fountain worked fine for 15 minutes, then tripped.

I should mention that I heard thunder the evening before I discovered this problem. Getting to the pump/wiring, etc. for the fountain will be a big challenge as it is heavy, solidly installed, and wiring is all under cement....is it likely the breaker could have just gone bad (perhaps as a result of the electrical storm?) I'd be much happier than if the pump on the fountain was somehow damaged! thanks for your help.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I have a 10 amp circuit which runs a small outdoor fountain and some low voltage lighting in my backyard.
Anything is possible, it looks like only a couple repair options exist.
Do you know what size motor is on the pump? Maybe you just have a slight drag and the motor is causing a slightly increased current draw, but you may need a clamp on amp meter to tell. A faulty breaker is always a possibility. Do you know what size wire was pulled to the pump and was it placed in conduit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure of what size wire was pulled, but it was absolutely in conduit, done by a licensed electrician w/permit, inspection, etc. It has been absolutely fine for 18 months, and I'm not sure this is a coincidence right after the electrical storm. The fact that it doesn't trip immediately, but rather 15 minutes after reset is interesting. Guess I can replace the breaker first, and diagnose from there. thanks!

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
is it likely the breaker could have just gone bad (perhaps as a result of the electrical storm?) I'd be much happier than if the pump on the fountain was somehow damaged! thanks for your help.
I'd think breakers are hardier than motors.
A clamp-on ammeter measurement will reduce uncertainty as to the source of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts