DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up a breaker box in my remote cabin that will not be connected to grid power.

I wanted some help to make sure I am hooking up the breaker box correctly.

I currently have 2 circuits connected in the picture.

Also the wire that will be coming in to the main breaker has a Red/White/Black and Ground wire.

Any info would help thanks.

Electrical wiring Electronics Electrical supply Technology Machine

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll do my best to answer your question. I have a buddy who understands electrical more than I do who is helping me with this. He just told me to ask somewhere online for a second opinion as he only hooked up breakers that are connected to grid power.

I am purchasing the following things below.

1. 240 Inlet
2. Extension Chord
3. 120 V 30 Amp twist on plug that changes to a 240 Volt female end.

I am thinking this will allow me use my current generator which doesn't have 240 Volt and will allow me to easily upgrade when the time comes.

Cable Yellow Electrical supply Extension cord Technology

Electrical supply Technology Electronic device Cable Extension cord

Product Electrical supply Electronic device

Electronics Audio equipment Electronic device Technology Stereo amplifier

· Registered
5,468 Posts
That panel appears to be set up for a 240v input.
IE- 2 X hots and neutral. if your generator is 120v only ?
You will need some sort of a change over switch
configured to bridge the two hot inlets to the panel.
this is of course assuming your loads are all 120v only.

Not sure what the code implications are ?

:glasses:

· Registered
11,194 Posts
I would not bother bridging the legs. It's an off grid cabin with 30 amps or less of 120v provided by a generator.
He can keep the few circuits he needs on the one leg with power. If and when a 120/240v generator is brought in, additional circuits can be added at that time.
Or, if additional circuits are not added at that time, one or more circuit can be moved to the 2nd leg for a rough balance of the legs.

The one thing I don't see here is a system ground. If it were my cabin I would drive a ground rod or two and run a GEC to the panel, rather than relying on generator frame contact to provide the ground.

I would NOT try to future proof things too much. The use of the system vs the needs and wants of the users will dictate the path it takes.

In many ways keeping electric use to bare necessities is the way to go. Otherwise, you end up being a slave to the generator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.