DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research and finding a lot of conflicting information.

This is my situation:
My main panel is in my garage. I want to run 3 20-amp branch circuits to my basement. The garage has drywall and living area above, so I need to run the wires outside the drywall. My plan was to pull 3, 12-2 NM through PVC conduit from the panel to the basement. I would have to go from the panel to the ceiling, across the ceiling, and down the opposite wall. Two 90 bends and about 48'. The conduit will be for protection only.

Here is the question:
Can I run the NM wires through a single conduit? If so, what size?
Should I run the NM wires through 3 separate conduit runs of 3/4"?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I believe that except for short distances for protection, it is a code violation to run Romex inside conduit. I would use THHN conductors.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I've been doing some research and finding a lot of conflicting information.

This is my situation:
My main panel is in my garage. I want to run 3 20-amp branch circuits to my basement. The garage has drywall and living area above, so I need to run the wires outside the drywall. My plan was to pull 3, 12-2 NM through PVC conduit from the panel to the basement. I would have to go from the panel to the ceiling, across the ceiling, and down the opposite wall. Two 90 bends and about 48'. The conduit will be for protection only.

Here is the question:
Can I run the NM wires through a single conduit? If so, what size?
Should I run the NM wires through 3 separate conduit runs of 3/4"?

Thanks in advance
Running NM through conduit is code compliant. 3/4 is not going to be large enough. 1 1/4 PVC schedule 40 is the size needed. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running NM through conduit is code compliant. 3/4 is not going to be large enough. 1 1/4 PVC schedule 40 is the size needed. Good luck!
Electures,

Do you mean the 3/4" will not be large enough for all three wires, or just one?
i.e. Can I run all three 12-2 wires through one 1 1/4 PVC, or should I run each 12-2 through its own 1 1/4 PVC?

Thanks

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
zutroy said:
Electures,

Do you mean the 3/4" will not be large enough for all three wires, or just one?
i.e. Can I run all three 12-2 wires through one 1 1/4 PVC, or should I run each 12-2 through its own 1 1/4 PVC?

Thanks
One conduit for all three cables. Is the conduit running from box to box?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts