DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Brad nailer or finish nailer

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  woodworkbykirk 
#1 ·
So I just ordered a 2.6 gal 2HP Makita air compressor. I have to do the baseboard and casing for my entire house and figured I would end up paying someone else just as much as if I bought the tools and did it myself. I spent most of my time researching the compressor and figured the nail gun would be easy. I had no clue there were so many options. Now I know the difference between a brad nailer and a finish nailer, but I'm not sure which I should use. After consulting the interwebs I have found conflicting info. My baseboard is 5/8" by 4.5" and the casing is 1/2" by 2.5", no crown molding. I would love your input and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
If you are installing larger hardwood moldings, I would use a 15 ga finish nailer. If all your dealing with is pine or poplar, a 16 ga would be fine. An 18 ga Brad nailer most certainly has a head on the nails. I use it for the thinner edge of the casing where it is sitting on a wood jamb. 1 1/4" brads work fine, plenty of holding power for that use, and leave a smaller hole to fill. I also use it for small moldings that a larger gauge nail would have a tendency to cause splitting. Get yourself a decent finish nailer and the Brad trackers are so cheap now, I would say get one of those too. I have a lot of air nailers, bostich and a hitachi 15 ga, dewalt cordless 16 ga, bostich, Bosch, and Porter cable 18 ga guns. Also have a PC 23 gauge micro pinner. Now that gun uses headless nails. It's good for very thin, tiny moldings, and must be used in conjunction with glue. It hasn't a lot of holding power on its own.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

#5 ·
I use both---a 2" brad has enough holding power for most casing--and the shoe molding--

But you need a finish gun for tall base and crown--hanging doors and is best for the outside edge of casing---

I prefer an angled finish gun---easier to place the nail than a straight clip gun.

#15 ·
i use my 18 gauge for door casing, 1/4 round. crown molding and chair rail..

16-gauge for hanging doors, baseboard, window jamb extensions along with the sil and building closets

23 gauge- for cross nailing mitres and nailing micro moldings

15 gauge- for exterior pvc trim.. the heavier gauge is more resistant to seasonal movement of wood and thermal movement of pvc

#2 ·
You need 2 nailers. A 15/16 gauge finish nailer for the base and the thick edge of the casing. Use 2.5 inch nails.
A 18 gauge brad nailer for the thin edge of the casing to the jamb. Use 1.5 inch brads.

Reactions: jonesyjones
#11 ·
I bought a 15g finish nailer for project a few years ago and am now in the midst of installing 5 1/4 x 1/2 mdf baseboard plus oak quarter round and it works fine. I figured that gauge would be the most versatile for a wider range of uses. Next is a wide crown stapler for siding. I was hoping to be able to use my nailer but manufacturers and evrything I've read says to use staples.

#13 ·
With an oak quarter round, I would not use a 16 ga nailer. I would be afraid that it would split. I use my 18 ga nailer for quarter round, even pine.

Question, why use oak with MDF base? You will end up painting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.