DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there -

I'm new to the site - I've been doing some renovation bits and pieces around the house and the one I'm doing at the moment is attempting to add a smallish walk in robe as we need more clothes storage! We have a largish bedroom (~6.1 x 3.8m) - much of which was wasted space, so decided to add a ~2.2m walk in robe up one end of it. I think I've built the partition wall OK (though no doubt you'll look at it and let me know where I can do better next time) which is all good - I'm learning!

Wardrobe1.jpg

We want something simple - essentially a rail along the two long walls - around 2.7m in length, with a strong shelf above it to store things like spare duvets, blankets etc... I've hopefully made the structure OK on this end so it will support the weight of the rail at this end, and wanted feedback if this was a sensible way of doing it:

Wardrobe2.jpg

I'm not 100% sure how I should do it on the other three sides, as I've left the old (native NZ timber) which seems to be very strong based on my experience of tearing parts of it down! My first question is whether I'd be best to simply remove the nogs from the left section in line with the heatpump & lights (both are coming out!) and put in a new stud, or whether I need to put a new section of frame all the way along in front? I was thinking it might be stronger if I put a new stud there in-line with the existing native timber frame (with small nogs either side) to hang the wardrobe rail onto, I thought it would be stronger than simple nailing bits of wood vertically in between the existing nogs. Any ideas as to the best solution for this would be very gratefully received.

Wardrobe3.jpg

The other longwinded part of my question is how to support it; I was thinking I'd need to divide it into thirds as I thought ~1.35m was too much of a span to support though happy to be corrected; I'm keen not to have full on framing/plaster in the dividers as more work, so was thinking of using a dressed pine post - e.g. 90mm square, going down to an elegant little foot, support the shelf that will go above the rail. Then I thought I could use one of the hanging loops for want of a better term, that supports the centre of the clothes rail from the shelf above. I was thinking a torsion box construction for the shelf (I learnt that term yesterday) which would seem to give it a bit of strength - does this sound sensible? If it is, then I need to figure out how best to support it - would I put cleats (think this is the right term) around the side & back into studs, and have a good lip on the front and back of the shelf? I quite like that look, with the lip coming down off the front of the face, and I think it helps give it strength.

I really appreciate any ideas anyone is willing to offer, many, many thanks in advance :)

Cheers

David

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
We have a little different framing here but what you have looks good.

I would just put blocks in between the studs, nails thru the stud into the blocks is has plenty of shear strength to hold everything up. 3/4" plywood would do for shelves one piece with an upright in the middle out of the same material. With a 1x2 on the back to hold the shelf up.
I am dealing in inches hopefully you can figure out the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply :)

Do you think the 3/4 inch ply is enough to not sag much with weight on the top? I guess with the upright in the middle, it takes it down to a length of 1.35m which isn't too bad? I'm keen to be able to put a reasonable weight on the top - blankets, the odd box etc...

Coming clean, I actually posted this on the sister site (Woodworking talk) a few weeks ago but didn't get any replies, so reposted it here and copied the first bit by mistake (yes I'm a donkey :smile:).

The plaster is up and the carpet is down, so I don't have an easy way of securing the upright to the floor; so was wondering about the post idea with a bit of a footer at the bottom so it looks OK. Is there a way I could make this work? Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks again

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts