DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I smack the shrub, tiny white flies scatter then zip back onto the bush. What’s the best way to get rid of them? A few years ago I used yellow sticky paper. Is that still a good solution or is there something better out there?

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
When I smack the shrub, tiny white flies scatter then zip back onto the bush. What’s the best way to get rid of them? A few years ago I used yellow sticky paper. Is that still a good solution or is there something better out there?
Howdy, nice to meet you!

Unless your bush is in evident distress, the best thing to do might be nothing. Mother nature can often keep bugs under control in the long run.

But, if not, or you want to get rid of them anyway, there's a couple of things you can try. A contact killer, like malathion or sevin, sprayed into the bush so it hits the bugs, will give you a quick knockdown, even the satisfaction of seeing the dead ones litter the ground under the bush.

Or, you can use a "systemic" bug killer called acephate, which kills the bugs it hits, then, gets into the plant's system and kills any others that try to feed on it. Be warned: this stuff smells nasty, but it works.

Below is one brand (there's others including Ortho Isotox).

Bonide Systemic Insect Control Conc., 16 oz., Pack of 4 at BestNest.com

If you have further questions, just ask.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy, nice to meet you!

Unless your bush is in evident distress, the best thing to do might be nothing. Mother nature can often keep bugs under control in the long run.

But, if not, or you want to get rid of them anyway, there's a couple of things you can try. A contact killer, like malathion or sevin, sprayed into the bush so it hits the bugs, will give you a quick knockdown, even the satisfaction of seeing the dead ones litter the ground under the bush.

Or, you can use a "systemic" bug killer called acephate, which kills the bugs it hits, then, gets into the plant's system and kills any others that try to feed on it. Be warned: this stuff smells nasty, but it works.

Below is one brand (there's others including Ortho Isotox).

Bonide Systemic Insect Control Conc., 16 oz., Pack of 4 at BestNest.com

If you have further questions, just ask.
The Bonide stuff worked. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts