DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wiring up my basement for an arcade. Have a lot of circuits and a lot of outlets. Decided to run my switched wall outlets in 12/3 to allow for some "hot" receptacles. I also ran a circuit of 12 switched receptacles in series around the room for signs..... again, 20A, run with 12/3 to allow for "hot" receptacles.

When daisy-chaining these outlets, I end up with 6 x 12 ga. conductors entering the box, and believe that I will end up with either 3 or 4 murets per box.

I thought I could just use 3" deep device boxes, with 15 cu in. volumes, but that does not appear to be the case.

Want these receptacles to be located every other stud along wall to facilitate moving games in and out.

Originally had laid out 5 single device boxes (15 cu. In.) per 20A outlet on the wall outlets.

The 20A upper wall circuit for the sign outlets has 12 outlets in series.... run in 12/3.

I believe I have a box fill issue here with these device boxes. I would really like to maintain the number and placement of locations...... and would like to stick with the 3 conductor wire to allow for hot receptacles down the road.

Is there a device box that will handle what I want to do here? Can I just use a double gang box and install only one device in that box? That would give me tonnes of space for wiring..... even if the aesthetics were somewhat off. Not sure if as soon as you install a double gang box the electrical code immediately counts that as two devices, even if your intent is to only install one? This is not an issue on the lower outlets, as I only installed 5 per 20A breaker...... but on the switched signs it would as I already have 12 outlets on the 20A breaker. Would I be able to install double gang device boxes with only one duplex outlet in each and be able to stay within code?

The LED and neon signs draw very little power...... Not worried about safety, but definitely don't want to run afoul of code and set up someone down the road.

I can split the 12 outlets for signs into two seperate circuits if need be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Flamers need not reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I should mention that I would much prefer to stay away from plastic boxes if possible.

It is wood framed.

The circuits have already been run, but walls are all open and can modify as required.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
A double gang box with only one device would be suitable.

Six #12 and four wire nuts counts a 6 + 2 for the wire nuts + 2 for the receptacle for a total of ten conductors.
10 x28.7 = 287 ml.
There are no single gang boxes that large. You would need to go to a double gang box or a 4 inch square box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Six #12 and four wire nuts counts a 6 + 2 for the wire nuts + 2 for the receptacle for a total of ten conductors.
10 x28.7 = 287 ml.
There are no single gang boxes that large. You would need to go to a double gang box or a 4 inch square box.
Thanks.... was looking for some feedback like this. Almost went and bought a bunch more boxes today to gang onto existing ones..... one the circuit with only five outlet boxes on it, I figured no problem with code re: total number of outlets. Was worried more about the circuit with 12 outlets on it, that code would then say that since there were double gang boxes, each one would count as 2 devices, even if I only install one device.

The 4" boxes with the mud ring is something I hadn't thought of..... Will look into it. Will they install so that the finished drywall looks okay? Will search around and see if that is a better option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

10 x28.7 = 287 ml.
Follow up question on the double gang boxes..... do they now need to be supported on both sides with studs by Ontario code..... or can they be attached on only one side?

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
that code would then say that since there were double gang boxes, each one would count as 2 devices, even if I only install one device.
Only if device installed does it count.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you have the available circuits, use them. Dont try putting them all on one circuit. need to figure out the amperage for each circuit too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one side is fine.
I guess I should have been more precise.... I am asking about gangable boxes. When you gang them together...... it is my understanding that they must be supported. Anything ganged two and above? Just wondering if supporting from both sides with studs okay, or if you must brace across the back somehow.

The removed sides from the gangable box get screwed to the rear of the assembled box with a bonding screw? After that, is any further rear support required, or are studs on either side sufficient?

Never done this before, want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

10 x28.7 = 287 ml.
I ended up using double gang boxes.... welded ones for the lower outlets with the 12/3. Used 18 cu.in. welded single gang boxes on the upper sign outlet boxes..... ran 14/2 to 12 outlets.

I may split up some of the switches to ease my box fill.... put the pot light dimmer switch in it's own box.

Thanks for the advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts