DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an cast aluminun weatherproof retangular singlegang box cover that has 3 , 1/2 inch threaded holes that are on the long side of the cover. The covers at the Depot and Lowes are on the short side. This cover would also have the mounting holes in each corner rather than just 2 per the normal type. Anyone knows of such animal

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
All of the single gang covers have the screws in the same locations.

I don't think I have seen the holes in that arrangement.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm looking for an cast aluminun weatherproof retangular singlegang box cover that has 3 , 1/2 inch threaded holes that are on the long side of the cover. The covers at the Depot and Lowes are on the short side. This cover would also have the mounting holes in each corner rather than just 2 per the normal type. Anyone knows of such animal
Know anybody with access to a machine shop? They could make what you want in short order.

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I'm looking for an cast aluminun weatherproof retangular singlegang box cover that has 3 , 1/2 inch threaded holes that are on the long side of the cover.
As others have pointed out... what you describe isn't standard at all.
My first thought was some sort of old explosion proof box is being used...

So... what sort of installation is this?
What does this box connect to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking back in the mid 70's, I installed some of these in an elementary school we did for outside flood lights. I was wanting to help a friend out with the same application. Yep I'm an old fart. Thank all for input.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yes...see them quite often in wet/commercial applications (but not with 3, 1/2inch holes). The 4-hole mounting is typical for the covers, along with a truly rubber gasket.

The cast boxes are robust and used in rigid conduit applications. They are manufactured with threaded holes.

Best guess would be to check with a supply house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts