DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had my house for about 6 years. It is a semi detatched. Over the last few months we have noticed a crack appearing on the inside of the outer wall. Also other tiny cracks appearing at the joins of outer wall and ceilin in other rooms and the wall seems to be bowing. We called out insurance as we were worried it was subsidence. A surveyor came out and said it not subsidence, there are no cracks on the external wall. He said it was the weight of the house and roof causing the wall to bow. The insurance will not cover it but he said it is a DIY job. Also he said all the other small cracks are due to the hot and cold weather, is this right as i have never noticed cracks in these places before. The surveyor said we just need to connect the wall to joists using braces. Does anyone know what this involves and also because the stairs are next to the problem wall how do we attach to joists without bars going straight across the stairs?

I would be very greatful for any information.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try get some put on but there not much to see except cracks on inside of wall. Have you heard of attaching joists to walls with braces to stop them bowing further? Are there any sights around with information on this and how to do it? Is it as easy as surveyor made out?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
Sure, you can brace just about anything but that might not be the fix. Try to get a picture from the inside and also from the same place on the outside.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
It could be truss movement if the roof had an inordinate amount of snow this year.
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure about the ties, will have to check this. The surveyor said we have a gable wall with a hipsided roof, slopes on all 3 sides, if that helps.
Cathedral ceiling?...maybe...there are beams showing in the 2 corners of the ceiling next to de tatched side of house. Ceiling is not at right angle to walls, it curves at edges. Flat part of ceiling is higher than level of guttering if that makes sense.
As you can probably tell i am completely new to all this. I just want to make sure what surveyor said is correct.
House construction is difficult to explain, i will get some pictures done to help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and post diagrams.. We had a survey done by an engineer through insurance to make sure it wasn't sub-sidence, got the report back today. This is what it said we need to do:
The gable wall should be tied in to the structure at wall/floor levelby means of 30 x 5mm pre-drilled and galvanised metal straps at 1.2mtrs centres. The straps require mechanical fixing to the external wall and should be screwed to the side, top or bottom of the internal floor/ceiling joist timbers/internal partition. If there are window or door openings, two straps should be fitted either side of the opening to make up for any missing straps.

The engineer did say it was a DIY job. Is it really possible to do this kind of job yourself? Or would it be better to get someone to do it? If so any idea how much it will cost?

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
Sounds like a gable wall that should have been balloon framed and wasn’t. I understand the straps but don’t see how that would correct the bow in the wall. Either way the siding or the drywall will have to come off to install the straps.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In the UK the end wall is called the gable and the triangle at the top is the gable end.
Your house looks like a typical cavity wall. Brick/2-3inch cavity/brick inner wall.
Was it built in the 60's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we were told 40's or 50s when brought it. Do you know if it can be a DIY job? People are teling me different things, someone said re point and plaster inside it wont move anymore, been told will never sell house because of it, also told cant do it ourselves has to be a proffesional.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.