DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am closing on a 20' x 40' house this week, and it's got 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom. I plan to tear down the walls and start from scratch. There is no plumbing in the slab, just pvc that comes out of the ground outside the house and into the side walls. Will redo all of this somehow also.

Is this the place to ask about floor plans? It's sort of construction, but maybe should go in interior decorating. It's both really.

Anyway, what I would like to do is put a wall right down the middle and create two 20' x 20' studios or 1 bedroom living spaces. It's just me living in one side, and the other side will be a rental.

I was going to ask about fitting a washer and dryer in a 5' x 8' 9" bathroom along with a shower, toilet, and sink, but I have discovered that some stackable washers and dryers are actually very nice and full size. So I can work with that.

Feel free to give layout ideas if you want. I have been working on a few, will post later. Thanks to anyone who participates. :)

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
So you are going to start tearing down walls, without knowing what is load bearing and what is not. Your first step before doing anything, that means even replacing a light bulb or removing a door, is speak with an architect and have them draw up plans for plumbing, electrical, hvac, the moving of any walls, landscaping for changing of any grade plan on the outside.

Then go to the local permit office with plans in hand and file for a Demolition and renovation permit for the first part, Electrical for the changing of electrical, plumbing, roofing, insulation, because I am sure plumbing is being changed along with everything else, and the roof is in sad shape, due to you wanting to change the floor plan, and update the structure.

After that is said and done, then get some helpers that will show up at 7, to start by 8, then be ready to go by 5 or 6 at night, including a half hour to one hour lunch break.

Then just make a chart that allows you to track progress from start to finish, and everything in between, along with when they need to happen.

Also your area may now be one of those that is requiring a sprinkler system in any new or remodeled builds, along with the fact that you will need wired CO detectors, and I would go with Photocell smoke detectors, not the older particle detectors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Woah there gregzollini dude, it's basically a big shed with insulation and electrical and cable hookups. There are only 4 load-bearing walls, and there isn't much for plumbing. It's a very simple "house", and I would like to keep it that way for the most part.

No homeowner's association, no sprinkler system. I'm not really concerned yet about what time my help should show up, and I'll be sure and contact an electrician before changing any light bulbs. Just looking for floor plan ideas man.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
My first name is Greg, last name is Zoll. Not Gregzollini, which I find very derogatory. If you are going to address people, address them properly by user name, or first name if it is their username.

As for your "Shed", again you have to file permits, due to whatever you believe, you are not going to be able to do anything with it, until you go through the proper procedures with your county.

As for HOA, nothing was mentioned. As for the Sprinkler system, it is now being required for Fire Suppression inside the structure on remodeled, new construction, or in your case, turning a farm storage or warehouse, or industrial building into a habitable structure.

You need to stop now, and follow the info I spelled out and if you wish to further address me, address me by Greg, which is my first name, not that derogatory comment you called me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay then, Greg. No offense intended by adding "ini" to your name. Pretty much everything you said in your response was outside the scope of my post. All I am concerned about at this point is floor plan layout. Making that happen, hiring help, getting permits, etc. is details.

It's not a farm storage, or warehouse, or industrial building, and I personally find it very derogatory that you would call it such. It's a simple house, with four corners, on a residential street, with neighbors. And I am excited about my new property, so how about a "congrats" or something.

You made a lot of assumptions in your first post, staying how I am neglecting all the important details and going about everything wrong, when I am not even asking about any of that. I don't even have the keys yet, and I am just dreaming about what I want to do with the place, so please just let me dream.

If you have any ideas along those lines, feel free to post.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Cannot give you an idea on floor plan, because it really depends on how you want the flow in the room. The worst thing you can do, is make the bedrooms and bath small, and have too much in the Great room/Kitchen/Dining area. Due to for some reason a lot of contractors automatically think everyone that is going to move into a residence is going to entertain all the time.

To give you an idea on our place, which is 25x32, our Living room is around 14x12, Dining around 8x12, Kitchen around 9x12. Took the wall down between the Kitchen & Dining room, now it is 17x12. Bath is 5 1/2x 9, Smallest bedroom around 9x8, Master around 10x8.

Your idea may be different, so do not go by what every person's idea is on what is going to work for you. The best thing to do, is use something like Google Sketchup and play around with it, or go old school and get some Legos and make a mock up of the place, then you can move walls around that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man. I have been using Google Sketchup, so much fun. There are trade-offs working with half of a 20' x 40' structure. I think it's gotta be a studio dwelling, with a wardrobe instead of a closet, etc.

Placing a bed so the environment is comfortable for sleeping is a challenge. A good quality sleeper sofa that is durable, easy, and "just as comfortable as a bed" would be great if I knew such a thing existed. Overall just making everything efficient and open feeling is a challenge.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,302 Posts
GP.... Just a sorta tangental thought, but space conservation/design is becoming a big architectural subject now.....

Obviously, the internet may have some design ideas.... but that is what you're doing...

But you might take time to walk thru an IKEA store if available... they have these small living space mock-ups... that may give you some space saving (space utilization ideas) that you might want to incorporate.

Your place will be much bigger than what they have mocked-up... but the space saving ideas might be something you want to put in your mjind as you progress in design.

Good for you and have a good time...

(My son bought a "scrape" but we did not scrape it. He lived in it, and we added 1800 feet on it, and are now directing our attention to save the old scrape. It's alot of fun.)

... tune into Dawgs threads... it'll give you a great feel of "one man building" ideas.

:yes::thumbup:

Best

Peter

By the way, You can call me MTN..ini..... I get called alot worse

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Before considering floor plans, I suggest you check the zoning to see if a duplex would even be allowed. And adding your location to your profile would be a big help in getting relevant responses.

Greg's idea of using Legos to make a mockup is a good one. But when my wife and I built our log home, we went one better. Most log homes have almost no interior load-bearing walls (we have just one), and I made the mistake of telling my wife she could "tinker" with the floor plan if she thought of something better. Every time she had some new idea, we laid it out on the floor with 2x4s to get an idea of how it would work for us (I mean, for her). The finished lot area, where the master suite is, looks nothing like what was on the original plans.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,302 Posts
MD2 I think has a great idea ... at least for me and maybe you.

Actually laying out a design,(2x4's, blue tape, flour, cardboard mock-up, whatever) rather than a drawing sure helps me.

I can read/follow prints no propblem.... but I can't actually "see/imagine" the end results.

Some people (I guess architechs) can see/imagine the final product... you may be that type of mind.... but if not, MD2 brings up a great point

·
Registered
3,471 Posts

Actually laying out a design,(2x4's, blue tape, flour, cardboard mock-up, whatever) rather than a drawing sure helps me.

I can read/follow prints no propblem.... but I can't actually "see/imagine" the end results.

Some people (I guess architechs) can see/imagine the final product... you may be that type of mind.... but if not, MD2 brings up a great point
Thanks. Like you seem to be, I also am not one who can look at a set of plans and visualize what the finished item would look like. I'm just not a "visual" person. I'm more the engineer type, which is actually what my job was when I still worked. My wife, on the other hand, is an artist (painting, pottery, wood carving, you name it). It astounds me what she can do.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,302 Posts
Thanks. Like you seem to be, I also am not one who can look at a set of plans and visualize what the finished item would look like. I'm just not a "visual" person. I'm more the engineer type, which is actually what my job was when I still worked. My wife, on the other hand, is an artist (painting, pottery, wood carving, you name it). It astounds me what she can do.

Ya know MD2.... I agree entirely....it is amazing how differently our minds can work.... and it's a good thing that we all have our streangths and get help for our weaknesses.... in a sense, this site assists us in that regard.

Just as an aside, and I laugh at myself, but I watch some people who can pack a moving truck like a jigsaw puzzle... and I would just have to get a bigger truck.... and it actually "bothers" me a little when installing non-geometrically perfect (artistic) tile... I want to put a square and a level to it.....:yes::thumbup:

Best

Peter

·
Banned
17,158 Posts

I like to do both. I am like you, can read schematics and blue prints, but sometimes I have to walk through what I am doing, to make sure I see it in my head.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Ya know MD2.... I agree entirely....it is amazing how differently our minds can work.... and it's a good thing that we all have our streangths and get help for our weaknesses.... in a sense, this site assists us in that regard.

Just as an aside, and I laugh at myself, but I watch some people who can pack a moving truck like a jigsaw puzzle... and I would just have to get a bigger truck.... and it actually "bothers" me a little when installing non-geometrically perfect (artistic) tile... I want to put a square and a level to it.....:yes::thumbup:

Best

Peter
My God, we must be related! I've actually done the bigger-truck thing myself. When I still worked, it was for a defense contractor that designed and built soldier support field equipment - kitchens, laundries, latrines, water treatment units, etc. But one thing I was NOT was a design engineer. Give me a blank piece of paper and I couldn't design crap. But I could look at any existing design and see ways to make it better. Before that, I worked in the one industry more anal that the space program: nuclear power. I've always been a detail guy - none of that touchy-feely stuff for me LOL.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Unless you are into geometric shapes, all a house or office building is, is just a bunch of squares and rectangles.

The bedrooms figure they can place the closets along the joint wall for two on one end, with say a eight foot wide bedroom, and maybe ten feet in length. Then with the bath, you could do two, one for Master, one for guests and the other two bedrooms.

Third bedroom if you can put it in, have the closet as a part of the entry closet in the design, with a alcove as you exit to the doorway.

Living room front of the place, Kitchen & dining behind the Living room on the back. With the exception of the second bath, this is pretty much the layout of two of my parents homes.

If you look at the majority of home builds out there, they are usually going to be a difference of six or eight layouts, and out of that, half will be a mirror of the other half.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.