DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the first time I recaulk anything and also the first time I use silicone (not a good combination, I know...). It's taken me hours to remove the silicone from the bottom of the tiles where they meet the shower pan, but some silicone remains stuck under the tiles (photo attached, showing upside down) and I can't remove it. I am using a retractable razor blade, a utility knife and various plastic tools.

Does that have to be gone before I can recaulk or can I proceed provided the edge of the shower pan and the edge of the tiles, where the caulk would need to stick, are clear?

Can you recommend a method for removing it?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
So this is inside the shower? Then it really needs to be water tight. The unfortunate thing is that nothing sticks to cured silicone, not even more silicone.

I sometimes use a small piece of wood to rub it off. its harder than the silicone, definitely softer than than the tile, and hopefully softer than the plastic.

Search Youtube for "caulking tape method".

But I don't get it. Did you already caulk it and want to do it over to get a nicer bead ? If it don't leak, its done. You will regret ripping it out to try to get it a little nicer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's inside the shower, around the shower pan. I removed the old caulk and tried to re0-caulk, but messed up by going over the bead too many times when a skin had already formed. So I removed the new caulk and what you see on the picture is what I've ended up with after hours of cutting/scraping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.