DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a question that I can't find an answer for anywhere, and would greatly appreciate any help. When turning off the boiler for summer time, my mother-in-law continues to insist to my wife that all we have to do is turn off the red "emergency gas burner" switch at the top of the basement stairs (because she's "done so for 30 years". I disagree, but I can't find the information to back myself up anywhere. I told her that you physically have to turn off that gas which connects directly to the boiler, she insists I'm wrong and it is driving me so mad that I searched Google high and low, which has brought me here. Are there any professionals that know the definitive answer? lol I am sorry if this isn't the type of question that is commonly found on this site, but I didn't know where else to turn. Thank you in advance (even if I am wrong about this)

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
When turning off the boiler for summer time, my mother-in-law continues to insist to my wife that all we have to do is turn off the red "emergency gas burner" switch at the top of the basement stairs (because she's "done so for 30 years".

I disagree, but I can't find the information to back myself up anywhere.
It comes down to what the switch in HER HOUSE is connected to.
But AT BEST it's a jackleg get by sort of approach to things.

Still, the fall pre-season start up check matters more.

·
Registered
14,107 Posts
it's fine to leave it off at the stat and not cut power. it's unecessary to cut the power.

If the boiler is older and is standing pilot, it's a good idea to shut the pilot in the summer to save some gas. Only downside is, inspects and dust can get into the pilot assembly, making it more difficult to relight in the fall.

Just as with the electrical side, there is no reason to shut the gas off to the entire boiler. The pilot can be shut at the gas valve.

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
The emergency switch does the same thing as the switch on the side of the boiler. It's there so the boiler can be stopped without having to go near the boiler in case of an emergency. It's not right or wrong. Actually, you don't have to use either switch. If you have a separate hot water tank, you can just lower the thermostat. If she lives w/ you & you want to be a diplomat, tell her that she was right. Ha Ha.

·
Administrator
41,915 Posts
If the boiler isn't standing pilot, turning off the gas does nothing special.

However, if the boiler is a standing pilot boiler. Turning off the gas will save you some gas use. But many a pilot has been clogged by a spider when the gas was turned off.

I usually tell people to leave the pilot burn. There is no the gas must be turned off, or left on. Its pretty much up to the individual owner.

Reactions: Bondo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I figured either way would work, but I guess I was kind of hoping that just turning off the gas instead of the emergency switch would've been the better idea. The way I look at it is if someone happens to turn the switch on without realizing, now there's gas being fed into the boiler without the pilot being lit, whereas turning off the gas eliminates that all together. I'll still stick to my original plan but I just won't talk about it with her anymore lol. Thanks again

·
Administrator
41,915 Posts
You said she just turns off the emergency switch. So why would the pilot go out?

Also, no pilot, the gas valve won't open to let gas go into the burner. As the pilot has to be burning for the gas valve to open to supply gas to the burner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts