DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all just looking for some advice. My safety valve keeps popping on my furnace. Last year I replaced the automatic make up feed water valve due to leaking by and over pressurizing. I turned off the manual feed water valve before that and watched the furnace operation. It was working fine for awhile and then the safety valve continues to pop.... Maybe twice per day. The gauges on the furnace are in fact reading around 30psi when the safety valve relieves so i do not believe there is an issue with the safety valve. The extrol expansion tank seems fine to me it has two different tones when tapping on it and one side is warm and one is cold. Could there be a low pre charge in the extrol? What can I look into next? I have another automatic make up feed valve I could install but I don't think that is the issue. I had my furnace last cleaned in 2015.. would that be anything that needs to be looked into? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The "tapping method" has not worked for me in the past. I would suspect that the expansion tank has failed. I would drain it down and check the tank. Make sure that you don't forget to turn your manual feed valve back on. Make sure that your temperature isn't set too high either.

·
Administrator
42,397 Posts
It can sound hollow in part of it, but still be defective.

Turn auto feed and boiler off for 1 hour, see if pressure increases or decreases. If it increases, the problem is with the indirect. If it decreases, get a new extrol tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.