DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
advanced newbie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am reading tons, getting the picture of the process to get ready to tile a shower. we bought hardibacker, my husband thinks he can just screw it to the wall studs and doesn't need to tape the seams. I understand that there needs to be some type of board UNDER the hardibacker first??, that we need to thinset the hardi onto the substrate AND tape the seams? we are not talking right now! it's kind of funny but not. Any tips guys?, you are all so helpful. jv

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
When building a shower/tub surround the 1/2" backer board is attached directly to the studs.---

Drywall for the rest of the room can be butted against the edge of the backer board.

Backer board is not taped--the seams are covered with tilers mesh (alkali resistant) and covered with thinset as the wall is tiled.

I hope I didn't get you in trouble with my answer----but it's right.---Mike---

Reactions: janev

·
advanced newbie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh'mike thanks. since the wee hours of the morning when i sent my post, i have discovered that i was wrong, not the first time, so it's not so hard to take!! Another question about the mesh, yes, i did understand it was a tilers mesh, not drywall tape! I have read in these fine pages that the best way to go about the "meshing" is to do it right ahead of tile so as not to get bumps, is this correct? thanks for the knowhow!! jv

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The mesh is sticky--Just stick it over the joint before you trowel on the mud--press the mud over it with the smooth side of the trowel--then add more mud --comb it out with the notched side and set the tile.

The one exception to that (every rule has an exception) is when waterproofing the walls.
Then you would apply the tape and a thin coat of mud--allow to dry--knife off any ridges--then brush or roll on the Hyproban or Redguard.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I do. I can't afford a failure so I always do---it's simple and fast and adds $50 to the job.

·
advanced newbie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... and one more thing. I have looked up hot mopping on these pages as i read that in another shower tile thread but find no difinitive answer. i understand it for roofs, but how is it used in the tile situation. In the thread they were discussing the pan and curb install and weather it had been "hot mopped". thanks again, jv

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Hot mopping is a California only process for waterproofing shower pans. Hot tar--

No where else in this world is it still used---sort of a 1940s method.

Are you building a custom pan? If so there are three or four proper ways of doing this.
Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb. This is one.

Another is the Schluter Kerdi system

Another uses Hydroban by Latactete.

Check their web sites for videos and instructions.

A complete failure is the Tileready pan---bad trouble with those.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
First Janey take a look at the link Mike has furnished. (North American/Ontario Tile) and familiarize yourself with that information. It will show you step by step how some showers are done correctly. There are other methods that may be more suited to your skill level.

I was of the impression that you already had your shower base hot-mopped. The threads and comments have been reorganized by a Moderator so we'll stay with this one just in case the other one is still there somewhere.:)

Hot-mopping is a long time proven method but it is regional. To my knowledge it is only used in California as Mike said and some parts of Arizona. Then there is the Bob Vila method of hot-mopping but we won't go there.:)

If you haven't done it (hot-mop) as yet, there are other less expensive and more practical ways to do the job.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts