DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well spent 10 hours chiseling out the old cement joints between these massive blue stones at my house today and had a couple questions for you guys

1) The sub floor these stones are on is almost a sandy/fine gravel cement mix of some sort and there is a weeping tile system around the patio But my question is will it be ok? i had ACL surgery a few months ago and the last thing i want to do is lift these monsters and pour a new slab

2) what Brand or kind of cement will hold up the longest? i picked up a few bags of some motor/cement mix but idk if its the rite one to use

Oh also do i need a expansion joint along the patio slab or just use tar paper?

any help would be great guys!!!! thanks again:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
well spent 10 hours chiseling out the old cement joints between these massive blue stones at my house today and had a couple questions for you guys

1) The sub floor these stones are on is almost a sandy/fine gravel cement mix of some sort and there is a weeping tile system around the patio But my question is will it be ok? i had ACL surgery a few months ago and the last thing i want to do is lift these monsters and pour a new slab

2) what Brand or kind of cement will hold up the longest? i picked up a few bags of some motor/cement mix but idk if its the rite one to use

Oh also do i need a expansion joint along the patio slab or just use tar paper?

any help would be great guys!!!! thanks again:thumbsup:

Sounds like the proper base is there,why not use polymeric sand insted of mortar,and no you don't need expansion joint or tarpaper.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Both mortared joints or polymeric sanded joints will require some maintenance though the years, but the poly is far easier, and DIY friendly, to repair..........

The only way to ensure a long lifespan out of mortared joints is if the bluestone were to be wet-set over a rigid foundation, like a re-enforced concrete slab......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts