DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blown fuses while changing switches & receptacles

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jbberns 
#1 ·
My house is currently wired with aluminum wiring and I am trying to update all the receptacles and switches to CO/ALR ones. So far, I have replaced the receptacles in my kitchen and they are working, but none of my switches are working. There seems to be one fuse blowing continuously when we turn the power back on. I have since removed all the switches that I replaced, kept the wires open, and turned my power back on. The fuse still continues to blow. I've tested the receptacles that I have replaced, and they are all working. I don't understand what the problem is. Could one of the working receptacles be causing the fuse to blow still ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Mystery of fuse blowing when switch turned on

There is a possibility that you mistakenly installed a light switch on a receptacle. Or, if the fuse blows when you put on more than one switch, it's possible that you connected a switch (somewhere in the circuit) on a HOT and NEUTRAL wire! Diagnosing electrical problems takes good old fashioned, step by step testing. There is no magical shortcut, and no assumptions will help!!!:yes::no::detective::drink:Don't drink and Drive!!!

#3 ·
addendum

One other possible reason could be that in a 4-wire "Daisy-Chain connected box of a receptacle, you mixed up some wires, and placed both, the HOT and NEUTRAL wires on the same TERMINAL, albeit on different screws!!!:yes::no::detective::drink:Don't Drink and Drive!!!

#4 ·
marc easy, I guess that you are finding that Electrical is not so easy
Finding the short would have been easier if you did not replace the switches & receptacles then turn the power back on to find you had a short.

....Could one of the working receptacles be causing the fuse to blow still ?
Not likely, concentrate on the boxes that contain the switches. Look first at the box closest to the Fuse panel.

Good advice from spark plug

#9 ·
Electricity is easy, Right?!

Like some POTENTIAL customer says. "I could have done thaaat!" Oh. It took you all of five minutes. And you're charging SOOO much!!!
That's why I said POTENTIAL customer. Because when I hear any of those phrases, I don't touch that person with a Ten Foot Pole!:no::no::drink:Don't Drink and Drive!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.