DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 3.3 Diameter motor blower that replaces a Dayton 1TDT8 motor blower and I accidentally had the red fan speed wire touch the white (line) wire when I plugged in the fan. The blower fan now turns extremely slow and smokes a little bit. Did I damage the motor? Any thoughts?

<div class="nolinks">

·
Registered
361 Posts
I purchased a 3.3 Diameter motor blower that replaces a Dayton 1TDT8 motor blower and I accidentally had the red fan speed wire touch the white (line) wire when I plugged in the fan. The blower fan now turns extremely slow and smokes a little bit. Did I damage the motor?
Unless it's supposed to turn extremely slowly and smoke a bit under normal operation, my guess would be: Yes, you damaged the motor.

One might reasonably be excused for wondering what inspired you to work on this thing with a live circuit.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Those motor winding are just like transformer windings. When you apply power to one winding, it induces voltage into the others. If you short circuit any motor or transformer winding, it will generally release the magic smoke and not ever work properly again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts