DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whole house has been sanded down in preparation for stain. The old cedar cleaned up way better than I thought it would. I did a test area using TWP 1500 series in pecan on the back of my house and thought it looked great (warm golden brown). However, another test spot on the front of the house looked awful (blotchy and dark reddish brown). I even tried TWP clear stain in hopes of keeping it close to the natural look and it turned out blotchy and reddish too. The front of the house does face west, southwest so it catches the afternoon sun. Any ideas as to what I can do to improve the look of the stain?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Insufficient surface prep.
scrub with it with a sodium hydroxide based cleaner/stripper followed with wood brightner power wash rinse. let dry 48 hours then optionally hit the wood with 80-120 grit. then stain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Insufficient surface prep.
scrub with it with a sodium hydroxide based cleaner/stripper followed with wood brightner power wash rinse. let dry 48 hours then optionally hit the wood with 80-120 grit. then stain.
Thanks for the info. Do you think Jomax would work ok as a cleaner/stripper?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Use a sodium hydroixide based product.... BenjaminMoore 'Remove' or ask where ever you bought the TWP what equivalent product they carry.

ALWAYS clean first then sand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts