DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that European brand appliances are something of anomolies here in North America and so not many people are knowledgable but they do make most of the compact 24" stacking washer / dryer pairs and so we bought a Bomberg.

We have a Blomberg clothes washer Model WM77110NBL01 which suddenly stopped ticking through the cycle.
We do not get any fault code.
It fills with water (as it has reliably for 4 years) but then the cycle timer just sits there, stuck, does not count at all. It just sits at 00:52 for example.

It has been suggested that the carbon brushes on the motor might need replacing.
But if that were the case would the timer not advance, or count down?

Otherwise, I thought it might be the water level sensor - the machine not registering that it has enough water. But that doesn’t make sense. If the water level sensor was bad presumably the machine would just keep filling with water, which it does not do.

(though this seems possible. maybe there is one signal to stop taking in water - which is still working - and another to Start The Cycle. if this second signal wasn't happening, that could explain the probem.)

it seems odd that it would suddenly occur just overnight. (but then many problems just "suddenly occur" don't they?)

any suggestions?

though the other problem (which I posted seperately under Electrical) was how to bench test a 240v washer unit that has been unpaired from its Host dryer (that it plugs into the back of.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. Bloomberg customer service told me how to get a fault code, which was F11- bad motor. I am Considering replacing the motor instead of buying a new machine. How did you resolve your issue?

Do Blomberg washers last a long time? Is it worth installing a new motor on a 9 year old machine?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same problem. Bloomberg customer service told me how to get a fault code, which was F11- bad motor. I am Considering replacing the motor instead of buying a new machine. How did you resolve your issue?

Do Blomberg washers last a long time? Is it worth installing a new motor on a 9 year old machine?
can you tell me how to get a fault code? that I do not have or know.

Peter

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But to answer your question. I would NOT pay to replace the motor on a Blomberg washer (or any clothes washer for that matter).
a - you don't know for sure that the problem is the motor. is it worth paying X hundreds of dollars just to find out if it is or isn't the motor?
b - your machine failed once. Mine has failed once (and my matching dryer failed a few years ago too. But I was able to repair it fairly easily. though it required dismantling the entire dryer.) So, I don't think these are the most reliable brand in the world. while the name Blomberg sounds German and that usually - "reliable" (think mercedes benz and BMW) Blombergs are actually made in Turkey.
c - you can buy a working 2nd hand clothers washer - probably even a Blomberg - for less than the cost of the replacement parts and repair of your current busted machine.

in general I replace but do not repair Dish Washers and probably clothes washers. a small bit or a latch or spring, yes, maybe. but replacement motors or control boards are usually insanely expensive more than the cost of a good working used replacement machine.

Peter

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But more backstory from my situation. Testing and troubleshooting this machine has been difficult as I had to remiove the machine from its place (a tenant's apartment) before I could run tests In Place. (they had just had a baby and so needed a clothes washer FAST and so a week of fiddling and another week of waiting for parts would not have been kind to them so I bought a 2nd hand washer cheap and swapped it in fast and removed the original. (the replacement was also a Blomberg but which runs on 120v instead of the 240v of the original.)
and that was the problem. the original washer needs to be piggy backed onto the matching dryer, plugged into a specialNEMA 6-15a socket on the dryer. in order to do testing away from the dryer, I needed to rig up a 250v extension corder with a 6-16a socket. that took some fiddling and time.

I did some more testing on the machine last fall and had some bizarre results.

this is a long read but it really nails down the process and results.

in about... July my tenants told me their clothes washer timer would not tick down. It took in water and then.... just sat there, showing "52min" or "27min" or whatever cycle had been selected.
You all said (as usual) "we don't do European brands". Fair enough. As they'd just had a baby I had to scramble, so I just bought a decent 2nd hand compact replacement, whipped it in, removed the failed original and they were back in the laundry busines

But this seemed so weird (that a machine should just stall like that.) I had to investigate. I figured I cannot be the first person to have this problem with a Blomberg. and per the user manual the normal reasons the timer will not count down are:
1) not enough water in the drum (which is not happening - I could see the water level)
or 2) water not to correct temperature. This I could not test (Hmmm, though in hindsight I should have felt the discharge water when I drained the unit after a failed WARM or VERYHOT cycle, as the unit I guess heats it's own water???)

Problem is there are NO online forums like this anywhere for European brands. (well, there are two in the UK but they are pretty useless and have no good information. You guys spoil us out here on ABF)
so I dragged this to a garage and sat on it figuring I would troubleshoot it at my leisure.

the other problem was, this is a 220v machine (that would normally plug into the back of the matching dryer) but now the washer was 150miles from the dryer and so to benchtest it I would have rig up a 220v extension cord with a weird NEMA 6-15 female 220v connector (very hard to find in Canada) and an outdoor double water supply line. (so I could not even get a real repair person to come look at it as I didn't have power or water nearby)
So finally this past weekend (just as the snow was threatening to fly) I got all those pieces together in one place and dug in.

and here's where it gets weird.

once I pulled the washer out of 5 months storage in the garage and got everything hooked up, I set up a test cycle (on COLD - thinking maybe it was a water temperature sensor problem), pressed start. It took in water. And to my amazement..... THE CYCLE RAN SUCCESSFULLY.
then I ran another cycle on WARM and it Failed.
so I figured "that's it! bad water temperature sensor"
so I ran a 3rd cycle, back on COLD. and... It Failed.
as did cycle 4,5,6 etc.

Frustrated, I unplugged everything and rolled the unit back into the garage.

The next morning (I was working outdoors and it is about freezing) I hooked everything up again.
Cycle 1. SUCCESS.
Cycles 2,3,4,...etc. FAIL

so I thought I was seeing a pattern. it would appear that the first cycle after being left unplugged would run correctly, but subsequent cycles would fail.
so I am wondering "is there some electrical component that gets overcharged and has to dissipate the charge before it'll run a single cycle. a capacitor? a resistor?" (i know nothing about electronics so this is just me dreaming crap up.)
or is it maybe water pressure?is there something in the water supply line that is getting jammed and the pressure has to drop.

so I leave it for.... 10 minutes, fully unplugged and no water pressure.

Hook it all back up.
Cycle 1. FAIL
Cycles 2,3,4 FAILS

maybe 10 minutes is not a long enough disconnect/cool down / reset period.

so I disconnected everything for 1 hour.
hook it all back up.
Cycle 1 = FAIL
Cycles 2,3,4 FAILS

frustrated AGAIN I rolled it back into the garage for another night.

Morning 3. Last try before it goes to the dump.
roll everything out, set it all up.
Cycle 1. Cold. SUCCESS.
Cycle 2. Warm. SUCCESS.
Cycles 3,4,5,6 vaious Warm and Cold. All ran Successfully.

Now it seemed I could not make the machine FAIL.
I am completely baffled. How can a machine go from Only the First Test Cycle Run (and only after a long shut down) to.... Appears To Run Correctly Everytime? without my having done or changed Anything.
This is just a bundle of mechanical and electronic parts.

At this point it is now full on sub freezing winter. and since this has to stay in an unheated garage til spring (my partner is barely allowing me to hold onto this unit At All so I dare not suggest that I store it in doors) I winterized with with antifreeze and pulled the garage door down.

So, What The Heck?

And again, I know you aren't familiar with European brands. but really, this is a bigger question than just brand. This is an Appliance Repair miracle.
while the makes and models all have specific differences what's a clothes washer anyway? basically 4 elements, No? water inlet, a pump to drain, some electronics and a motor to turn the drum. oh and a sensor or two.

so, what could possibly have changed?

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that European brand appliances are something of anomolies here in North America and so not many people are knowledgable but they do make most of the compact 24" stacking washer / dryer pairs and so we bought a Bomberg.

We have a Blomberg clothes washer Model WM77110NBL01 which suddenly stopped ticking through the cycle.
It fills with water (as it has reliably for 4 years) but then the cycle timer just sits there, stuck, does not count at all. It just sits at 00:52 for example.

It has been suggested that the carbon brushes on the motor might need replacing.

Otherwise, I thought it might be the water level sensor - the machine not registering that it has enough water. But that doesn’t make sense. If the water level sensor was bad presumably the machine would just keep filling with water, which it does not do.

(though this seems possible. maybe there is one signal to stop taking in water - which is still working - and another to Start The Cycle. if this second signal wasn't happening, that could explain the probem.)

it seems odd that it would suddenly occur just overnight. (but then many problems just "suddenly occur" don't they?)

any suggestions?

though the other problem (which I posted seperately under Electrical) was how to bench test a 240v washer unit that has been unpaired from its Host dryer (that it plugs into the back of.)

any suggestions?

Call Bloomberg in CA: 800-459-9848 and ask for Tracy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call Bloomberg in CA: 800-459-9848 and ask for Tracy
I'll call.
but did your machine show a Fault Code when it failed (i.e. got stuck)? or did you have to do something to figure out what the fault code was?
My machine does not show a fault. it just stops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tracy walked me through the steps of holding down buttons, all of which I cannot remember. Ultimately the code F11 appeared. Mine did not show a code until I followed her steps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
closing the loop on this thread.
I did finally (months later) call Tracy at that number.
She was terrific (and also seems to be the only person answering that phone line for her company Servicepower.com)

she talked me through initiating the diagnostic tests and we came up with an F11 error which she said was likely the Mtotor (or possibly the DC Module.)

below are the steps to run the Diagnostic test on a Blomberg
in my case however, in the end However, I disconnected and reconnected the electrical connector on the side of the motor and the DC Module and when I re-ran the diagnostic cycle, I did not get an F11 error instead if got a code 88 32. I am asking Blomberg what 88 32 means.
On my first try the unit seemed to start working correctly but it stalled at the 18minute mark of the Rinse cycle
when I push the drum spider arms with a wooden stick, the motor kicks back in but with a flash under the bottom of the drum. That suggests a short circuit and that suggests overhauling or replacing the motor
TBC

Peter

Blomberg Pulling error codes and testing

Turn unit OFF
Turn the Cycle Dial to 12 o’clock
Press and hold Start/Pause button
Continue to hold Start/Pause then Push in On/Off button

Error Code will display

F11 = motor problem.

Leave On/Off pushed IN

Push Start/Pause
Screen will start Flashing
Push Start/Pause again. Screen will light up steady.
You are now in the TEST Sequence
Push Start/Pause again. On a healthy machine drum will start to turn one way
Push Start / Pause again. On a healthy machine drum will start to turn the other way.

Pushing Start/Pause repeatedly and the TEST sequence will cycle through a number of test to test various components
Fast spin
Water Fill
Detergent flush
A few others
Drain
etc.

Pause Stat/Pause again to end the test cycle.

F11 = motor problem. Though when I pushed the motor arms with a stick of wood, it worked in the test cycle.

Tracy at Blomberg also said it could be the motor connector (the electric connection panel on the side of the motor)
If the problem persists, the motor part number is 2824520100

The DC Module (which is under the lid, upperRH side when facing the unit) 2817690201

1 - 10 of 10 Posts