DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new kitchen faucet recently. While doing it I replaced the lines it with braided stainless ones, put in new drains, new line to the dishwasher, and installed a boiling water on demand tap. It all worked out beautifully, and I was very pleased with it.

Until three weeks later. We spontaneously stopped getting hot water on that tap. Cold water pressure is fine, but not the hot water. To fix this I replaced a bottlneck that was flexible pvc on the inlet pipe with something more significant, and I also pulled everything on the hot end apart, and checked it for blockage. Didn't see anything, so I put it all back together.

Pulled it all out again, and this time took the sprayer hose line off, and noticed a chunk of corrosion wedged in there. Score!
BUT, it still wasn't fixed. There's a block somewhere between the valve and the place where the hot & cold water combine. (I checked that I was getting water at the valve). It's not the big line going to the faucet, which was very open and clear. It's something else. What can I do to find and remove the block, or at least fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would take it out & take it apart Must be some scale loged in side some where If you had no issues b-4. Do you have galvanized water pipe ?
Yes. The pipes that I can see are galvanized steel, and it looks like there's some corrosion inside. I guess when I have a free evening, I'll pull everything back out again, and dissect the faucet.

Here's the faucet in question:

This is the old plumbing. Those look like galv. steel to me. I've since replaced the angle stops here (and the hot water one failed while I was working on it - would have been a disaster if I hadn't already had the mains off.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
It has been my experence that when you do anything with old galvanzied pipe. Usually some of the corrosion breaks free & causes problems .. Usually in a faucet...By the way that sink ,counter top looks very nice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been my experence that when you do anything with old galvanzied pipe. Usually some of the corrosion breaks free & causes problems .. Usually in a faucet...By the way that sink ,counter top looks very nice
Thanks. You should have seen the bright blue psychedelic countertop some soul put in there before us. Googling around trying to solve this issue, I've heard several warnings about the pipes. Now I know I suppose, though I don't know if I could have prevented this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.